Samsung’s Galaxy S3 Prices Take Nose Dive
By Erik Pineda | February 11, 2013 5:41 PM EST
Attractive discounts on Samsung's Galaxy S3 are now being offered by global distributors, probably to clear out stocks as the rumoured April commercial release of is more powerful replacement, the Galaxy S4, nears.
In the United States, the Galaxy S3 is practically a giveaway from Amazon Wireless, which offers the million-selling Android handset for a penny, that is $US0.01. In exchange, buyers will have to jump into Sprint's services and agree for a lock-in period.
Note that the deal is open only for new Sprint subscribers but existing clients who wish to upgrade can do so but they will need to shell out more than a penny.
According to Phandroid, Sprint customers planning to get hold of the quad-core S3 will need to pay up $US100 before they can upgrade their device. Those opting to own the Samsung the smartphone as a second device only need to cough up $US60. The same terms pretty much apply to all the deals, Amazon said.
In India, online sellers now offer the unlocked Galaxy S3 16GB model for as low as $630 following its price debut of $780 last year. Retailer also shaved off the tag price for the Galaxy S Duos, which now sells for only $270.
Price cuts now abound for the high-end Samsung Galaxy smartphones, analysts said, to make way for the entry of their more powerful replacements and to keep the inventory moving despite the arrival of new model variants.
The Galaxy Note 2, for instance, now retails for $US100, also on Sprint following strong indication that the 6.3-inch Galaxy Note 3 will crash the global tech scene through the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
And with the Galaxy S4 set for a preview either on March 15 or March 22, sellers are racing to mark down their prices to capitalise on the perceived rush among consumers to get of hold of the mobile devices (on lower model) they've been eyeing for.
Analysts expect the old and new handsets from Apple and Samsung to continue slugging it our even as many consumers train their attention on the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 replacements.
The iPhone 5S is rumoured to sport A7 chips and the vastly-improved iOS 7 while the Galaxy S4 is believed to carry the energy-efficient 8-core Exynos processor with JellyBean 4.2 (upgradeable to Key Lime Pie) running its operations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’