China Beats US Dominance in Global Commerce with Higher Trade in Goods
By Geetha Pillai | February 11, 2013 5:07 PM EST
China has surpassed the dominance of the United States as the biggest trading nation in the world in terms of total imports and exports of goods, showed official figures of 2012 from both the countries.
Chinese exports and imports together totalled $3.87tn (£2.45tn, €2.9tn) in 2012 as against the sum of $3.82tn reported by the US Commerce Department.
According to data released by the US Bureau of Economic Analysis, the countriy's econnomy which is double the size of China suffered a goods deficit of over $700bn while China reported a goods trade surplus of $231.1bn, the largest in four years.
But with the figures of services trade included, the US remains in the top position with total trade at $4.93tn.
However, the increase is seen commensurate with China's emergence as one of the most important trading partners for several countries surpassing the supremacy of the world's biggest economy in global commerce.
"It is remarkable that an economy only a fraction of the size of the US economy has a larger trading volume," Nicholas Lardy, senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics told the Bloomberg.
The US economy contracted 0.1 percent in the final three months of last year, first time in three and half years.
China's GDP totaled 51.93tn yuan ($8.3tn) in 2012, showed data from the National Bureau of Statistics.
Apart from the China's fast growing trade links with the Asian and African counties, the Communist nation is on the verge of becoming one of the biggest bilateral trading partners for a number of countries in the Europe such as Germany.
"For so many countries around the world, China is becoming rapidly the most important bilateral trade partner," Jim O'Neill, chairman of Goldman Sachs's asset management division told the Bloomberg.
"At this kind of pace by the end of the decade many European countries will be doing more individual trade with China than with bilateral partners in Europe".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features