Jack Andraka, Science Protégé: On the way to Curing Cancer at 15
By Gilda Galang | February 11, 2013 4:26 PM EST
Breakthroughs in science come and go, some with furthered research while others get thrown back in the drawing board. But it seems that Jack Andraka hit two breakthroughs in one go: a potential test for identifying cancer, and the fact that he did so as a 15-year-old student.
The name Jack Andraka has been making waves in the scientific community for being a scientist and innovator who had tapped into the identification of ovarian, lung, and pancreatic cancer, reports Forbes.
The breakthrough detection tool for pancreatic cancer
What's more amazing with Andraka's invention is that this identification test has been proven to be 168 times faster and almost 100% accurate compared to what is being done in medical communities today. In addition, the procedure is 26,000 times less expensive.
Take Part reports that Andraka's creation is akin to a dip stick test, which would examine the levels of mesothelin, a marker for pancreatic cancer. And you can do this test in the same way a test for diabetes is conductied-all at around three cents.
The accuracy factor is also something to be celebrated in Andraka's invention, since the current detection procedures for pancreatic cancer has never really been as effective, especially in the early stages.
Taking inspiration from family and friends
One of the reasons why Andraka became interested in studying pancreatic cancer was due to the death of a close family friend, an uncle
"After researching about it, I discovered that 100 people die of pancreatic cancer every day and that although early detection is key to improved survival, there are no inexpensive, rapid, and sensitive tests," said Andraka to Forbes. "I figured there had to be a better way."
Still a high school sophomore at North County High School, Andraka already won the youth achievement Smithsonian American Ingenuity Award, reports the Smithsonian magazine.
Towards the future
Nowadays, he still enjoys school, where he has become a celebrity for winning the $75,000 grand prize at Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. And his revolutionary detection tool for pancreatic cancer still sits at Johns Hopkins University.
But the every inquisitive teenager has not stopped with his inventions. He doesn't see himself as an all-important genius, and even admits that his next project's not coming as easily-"Professors still reject me from their labs saying that I don't know enough, perhaps not even reading my proposal but just seeing 'high school student' on the proposal," he says to Forbes-but this doesn't stop him from continuing his pursuit of science.
Or from doing his homework.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports