Victoria Parents Face $70 Fine For Kids’ Habitual School Absences
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 11, 2013 3:31 PM EST
Effective 2014, parents residing in Victoria, Australia, could be slapped with a $70 fine for the unexplained or habitual absences of their children from school, in a proposed law where parents become more the targets of their children's poor schooling attendance behaviour.
Specifically, the proposed law will pursue parents whose children are absent for at least five days a year. Failing to work with school authorities to improve attendance is likewise a ground for a scheduled conference with the principal's office.
"What we're talking about here is a minority who are away often and away for no good reason for at least five days," Education Minister Martin Dixon told reporters in Melbourne on Monday.
"Principals have said to us on a number of occasions there are always one or two families within their schools where this fine might apply."
Legitimate excuses for school absences include illness, a limited amount of family travel or cultural celebrations. A child needing rest or multiple holidays is not part of the list.
Problem parents who fail to provide valid and legitimate excuses for their children's school absences would then be issued with school attendance notices. If they fail to provide a valid excuse, an infringement notice will then be issued.
If that's bad news, well the good news could be that the fine amount is 50 per cent off the prevailing fine implemented in 2006, which is $140.84. No parent has been fined under the existing law because parents are first required to be taken to court before any fine can be imposed.
"A child's regular attendance at school is critical in their academic and social development," Mr Dixon said.
"On a very small percentage of occasions, parents neglect that important duty, and we need to send a very strong message."
The draft legislation has been released for public comment for 30 days.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories