Victoria Parents Face $70 Fine For Kids’ Habitual School Absences
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 11, 2013 3:31 PM EST
Effective 2014, parents residing in Victoria, Australia, could be slapped with a $70 fine for the unexplained or habitual absences of their children from school, in a proposed law where parents become more the targets of their children's poor schooling attendance behaviour.
Specifically, the proposed law will pursue parents whose children are absent for at least five days a year. Failing to work with school authorities to improve attendance is likewise a ground for a scheduled conference with the principal's office.
"What we're talking about here is a minority who are away often and away for no good reason for at least five days," Education Minister Martin Dixon told reporters in Melbourne on Monday.
"Principals have said to us on a number of occasions there are always one or two families within their schools where this fine might apply."
Legitimate excuses for school absences include illness, a limited amount of family travel or cultural celebrations. A child needing rest or multiple holidays is not part of the list.
Problem parents who fail to provide valid and legitimate excuses for their children's school absences would then be issued with school attendance notices. If they fail to provide a valid excuse, an infringement notice will then be issued.
If that's bad news, well the good news could be that the fine amount is 50 per cent off the prevailing fine implemented in 2006, which is $140.84. No parent has been fined under the existing law because parents are first required to be taken to court before any fine can be imposed.
"A child's regular attendance at school is critical in their academic and social development," Mr Dixon said.
"On a very small percentage of occasions, parents neglect that important duty, and we need to send a very strong message."
The draft legislation has been released for public comment for 30 days.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]