Asian Markets Mostly Closed but Australian Stocks Trade Higher
By Geetha Pillai | February 11, 2013 3:20 PM EST
Australian shares have traded at the highest level in three years tracking positive cues from Wall Street and rise in oil prices as most of the other regional bourses remained closed for public holidays.
Australia's S&P/ ASX 200 Index was up 0.1 percent at 12: 41 pm in Sidney marking the highest level since April 2010 while New Zealand's New NZX 50 was down 0.1 percent.
In Australia, JB Hi-Fi Ltd, the country's second-largest electric goods retailer jumped 15 percent after it reported better-than-expected half yearly earnings.
The euro slipped to a two-week low and briefly fell to $1.3325 before recovering to $1.3370 while the yen climbed against the counterparts.
Other regional bourses including equity markets in China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia are closed for Lunar New Year holidays. Japan was closed for National Foundation Day.
In Europe, finance chiefs of the region would be meeting in Brussels to discuss aid to Cyprus and Greece. With the agreement on European Union budget deal, the focus has been shifted to Italy's elections, to be held between 24-25 February and the political scandal in Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers