Asian Markets Mostly Closed but Australian Stocks Trade Higher
By Geetha Pillai | February 11, 2013 3:20 PM EST
Australian shares have traded at the highest level in three years tracking positive cues from Wall Street and rise in oil prices as most of the other regional bourses remained closed for public holidays.
Australia's S&P/ ASX 200 Index was up 0.1 percent at 12: 41 pm in Sidney marking the highest level since April 2010 while New Zealand's New NZX 50 was down 0.1 percent.
In Australia, JB Hi-Fi Ltd, the country's second-largest electric goods retailer jumped 15 percent after it reported better-than-expected half yearly earnings.
The euro slipped to a two-week low and briefly fell to $1.3325 before recovering to $1.3370 while the yen climbed against the counterparts.
Other regional bourses including equity markets in China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia are closed for Lunar New Year holidays. Japan was closed for National Foundation Day.
In Europe, finance chiefs of the region would be meeting in Brussels to discuss aid to Cyprus and Greece. With the agreement on European Union budget deal, the focus has been shifted to Italy's elections, to be held between 24-25 February and the political scandal in Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date