Asian Markets Mostly Closed but Australian Stocks Trade Higher
By Geetha Pillai | February 11, 2013 3:20 PM EST
Australian shares have traded at the highest level in three years tracking positive cues from Wall Street and rise in oil prices as most of the other regional bourses remained closed for public holidays.
Australia's S&P/ ASX 200 Index was up 0.1 percent at 12: 41 pm in Sidney marking the highest level since April 2010 while New Zealand's New NZX 50 was down 0.1 percent.
In Australia, JB Hi-Fi Ltd, the country's second-largest electric goods retailer jumped 15 percent after it reported better-than-expected half yearly earnings.
The euro slipped to a two-week low and briefly fell to $1.3325 before recovering to $1.3370 while the yen climbed against the counterparts.
Other regional bourses including equity markets in China, Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia are closed for Lunar New Year holidays. Japan was closed for National Foundation Day.
In Europe, finance chiefs of the region would be meeting in Brussels to discuss aid to Cyprus and Greece. With the agreement on European Union budget deal, the focus has been shifted to Italy's elections, to be held between 24-25 February and the political scandal in Spain.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date