Sensex Likely To Lack Luster Monday Amid Investor Caution
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 11, 2013 2:51 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to be range bound on Monday as investors are likely to remain cautious with other major Asian markets closed for the day.
On Friday, the US stocks rose as investor sentiment turned positive amid encouraging economic indicator indicating that the growth of the world’s largest economy is reviving. According to the data released on Friday by the the Bureau of Economic Analysis, the trade deficit, which measures the difference in value between imported and exported goods and services over the reported period, fell to $38.5 billion in December from $48.6 billion in November.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.35 percent, the S&P 500 Index was up 0.57 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index gained 0.91 percent.
On Friday, the Sensex fell 95.55 points to close at 19484.77. The overall market breadth was negative with 763 advances against 1397 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index dropped 0.72 percent to 6756.01 and Smallcap Index declined 0.95 percent to 6794.14.
Sensex was down 1.5 percent last week. Investor confidence was weighed as the government released a statement last week that India’s gross domestic product was estimated to grow at an annual rate of 5 percent in the 2012/13 fiscal year. Earlier, the finance ministry had projected the economy to grow at 5.7 to 5.9 percent during the year. Market players felt that the downturn in industrial production and weak export orders would continue to hamper India’s economic growth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar