What’s on Your Romantic Love Songs Playlist?
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 11, 2013 10:55 AM EST
Music plays a major role among most couples. It is used to express a lover's sentiment. Romantic music serves as a good background for a couple dating on Valentine's Day.
However, one person's love aria could be anathema to another person. Thus, listings of the top 10 romantic songs made by different Web sites yielded different results depending on the bias of the lister.
One good gauge of a song's popularity is its YouTube hits, which are also included in this listing.
But there are some songs that consistently made it to the top 10 roster of several portals. Here is a dozen of those romantic songs.
l Your Song - Elton John (54 million hits)
The Brit singer's first hit pop song in 1970. It is considered one of the most perfect love songs ever written and was on number 8 of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 charts.
l Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley (13 million hits)
Was featured in the King of Rock and Roll's movie, Blue Hawaii which Mr Presley used to perform as the finale for his live concerts.
l Close to You - Carpenters (20 million hits)
This single led to the stardom for the brother-and-sister duo.
l Faithfully - Journey (35 million hits)
The song tells of the passion of the musician for his wife who is constantly on the move but he still remains faithful to her.
l The Power of Love - Celine Dion (40 million hits)
Released in 1995. Originally recorded by Jennifer Rush, but Ms Dion's version is the more popular one.
l I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March (2 million hits)
When it became number one in 1963, Little Peggy was only 15 and the youngest singer of her time. The song was revived by the movie Sister Act which actually got more than 8 million hits.
l Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers (40 million hits)
A 1960s hit which experienced a revival when used as the theme song for the Demi Moore-Patrick Swayze blockbuster movie, Ghost, in 1990, and got another 10 million YouTube hits.
l When A Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge (14 million hits)
Released by Mr Sledge in 1966, the song remains a classic. His version, the original one, is considered the top and incomparable to later versions.
l Every Breath You Take - The Police (50 million hits)
The song is a proof that stalking is a fit subject for pop.
l You're the Inspiration - Chicago (10 million hits)
Although considered by some as a little bit on the cheesy side, it is still considered a classic love song.
l Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton (30 million)
Actually an account of a rather boring evening in Eric's life as he watches his partner half brush her hair, go to a party, get a headache disguised by leisurely guitar licks and drowsy vocals.
l You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban (40 million hits)
It is considered one of the most beautiful, moving and powerful songs ever written. Originally sung by Secret Garden in 2003, but it was Mr Groban's version that became a hit, now also sung as a contemporary hymn in church services. Westlife's version of the song also garnered an equally impressive 28 million hits.
Although these 12 songs are basically romantic songs, one common thread is that they could also apply to other types of love such as agape and platonic, which means only that love knows no boundaries and goes beyond the traditional romantic love between and man and a woman, and it should be celebrated not just every Feb 14, but throughout the year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports