What’s on Your Romantic Love Songs Playlist?
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 11, 2013 10:55 AM EST
Music plays a major role among most couples. It is used to express a lover's sentiment. Romantic music serves as a good background for a couple dating on Valentine's Day.
However, one person's love aria could be anathema to another person. Thus, listings of the top 10 romantic songs made by different Web sites yielded different results depending on the bias of the lister.
One good gauge of a song's popularity is its YouTube hits, which are also included in this listing.
But there are some songs that consistently made it to the top 10 roster of several portals. Here is a dozen of those romantic songs.
l Your Song - Elton John (54 million hits)
The Brit singer's first hit pop song in 1970. It is considered one of the most perfect love songs ever written and was on number 8 of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 charts.
l Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley (13 million hits)
Was featured in the King of Rock and Roll's movie, Blue Hawaii which Mr Presley used to perform as the finale for his live concerts.
l Close to You - Carpenters (20 million hits)
This single led to the stardom for the brother-and-sister duo.
l Faithfully - Journey (35 million hits)
The song tells of the passion of the musician for his wife who is constantly on the move but he still remains faithful to her.
l The Power of Love - Celine Dion (40 million hits)
Released in 1995. Originally recorded by Jennifer Rush, but Ms Dion's version is the more popular one.
l I Will Follow Him - Little Peggy March (2 million hits)
When it became number one in 1963, Little Peggy was only 15 and the youngest singer of her time. The song was revived by the movie Sister Act which actually got more than 8 million hits.
l Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers (40 million hits)
A 1960s hit which experienced a revival when used as the theme song for the Demi Moore-Patrick Swayze blockbuster movie, Ghost, in 1990, and got another 10 million YouTube hits.
l When A Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge (14 million hits)
Released by Mr Sledge in 1966, the song remains a classic. His version, the original one, is considered the top and incomparable to later versions.
l Every Breath You Take - The Police (50 million hits)
The song is a proof that stalking is a fit subject for pop.
l You're the Inspiration - Chicago (10 million hits)
Although considered by some as a little bit on the cheesy side, it is still considered a classic love song.
l Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton (30 million)
Actually an account of a rather boring evening in Eric's life as he watches his partner half brush her hair, go to a party, get a headache disguised by leisurely guitar licks and drowsy vocals.
l You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban (40 million hits)
It is considered one of the most beautiful, moving and powerful songs ever written. Originally sung by Secret Garden in 2003, but it was Mr Groban's version that became a hit, now also sung as a contemporary hymn in church services. Westlife's version of the song also garnered an equally impressive 28 million hits.
Although these 12 songs are basically romantic songs, one common thread is that they could also apply to other types of love such as agape and platonic, which means only that love knows no boundaries and goes beyond the traditional romantic love between and man and a woman, and it should be celebrated not just every Feb 14, but throughout the year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date