Philippines Sheds Crocodile Tears for Lolong, the World’s Largest Reptile in Captivity
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 11, 2013 10:29 AM EST
The cash cow of the Philippine province of Agusan del Sur, the world's largest crocodile in captivity, is gone. The capture of Lolong in 2011 placed the once sleepy province in world map which provided income for the local government because of tourists.
Unfortunately, at 8 p.m. on Feb 10, Lolong died in his pen. Experts have found that its left stomach is bloated even if Lolong has not been eating his usual meal late last month. Dr. Alex Collantes of the Davao Crocodile Park in Davao City was requested to check on the reptile early in Sunday before Lolong died. Keepers have not given out any reasons why Dr. Collantes has been summoned to check Lolong.
Another report said the reptile swallowed nylon cord which may explain the bloated stomach.
Agusan del Norte Mayor Edwin said that Lolong had no more signs of life as of 8:12 Sunday night. He said that officials from the Protect Areas and Wildlife Bureau will perform a necropsy on the animal. The province plans to ask the National Museum to help preserve Lolong's remains.
Lolong measured 20.24 feet and approximately weighs 2,370 pounds. The reptile was captured by around 100 people in 3 weeks time.
He was recognised as the world's biggest crocodile in captivity" by the Guinness Book of Records after six month waiting for the visit and confirmation from Australian zoologist and crocodile expert Dr. Adam Britton.
Lolong grabbed the title in June 2012 from the previous record-holder, Cassius, a male saltwater crocodile kept in the crocodile park of Marinel and Melanesia in Queensland, Australia.
Agusan del Sur, where Lolong was held in captivity, benefit from the public display of the largest reptile. Many tourists and enthusiast went to the province and visited Lolong, which boosted the poor province's coffers. In the official website of Agusan del Sur, Lolong dominates the web page including the news of his condition after the Typhoon Pablo hit land and the provincial mayor's opposition for Lolong to be transferred to Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center in Quezon City, a part of the metropolitan Manila.
If Lolong would have survived longer, the local government unit will embark on 200-million peso development project for the Bunawan Eco-Park and Research Center through a private-public-partnership, Bunawan Media Affairs coordinator Welinda Asis-Elorde said, which would have further improved Agusan's finances.
There has been a debate even before Lolong's death if the reptile should be kept in captivity since a pen is not the crocodile's natural habitat. However, there are concerns that releasing Lolong may endanger more lives as the reptile was suspected of having eaten several people from the province.
While Lolong may be gone, political pundits note that his relatives - the human variety often clad in barong tagalog or a suit - still roam freely in the halls of the Philippine Congress in reference to legislators being viewed as greedy for power and wealth. The Pilipino street term for a greedy person is buwaya, which is also the local word for crocodile.
Meanwhile, for those interested in real crocodiles - those that are four-legged - the Philippine province of Palawan has a crocodile farm where Lolong's other relatives could be viewed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Japan’s Robotic Industry Is On A Rebound
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Peru Probes Into The Deaths Of 500 Sea Lions
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]