Hokkaido U Research Spots Flying Squids at Speed Faster Than Olympic Gold Medalist Usain Bolt
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 11, 2013 10:00 AM EST
With an average record time of 10.31 metres per second run, Jamaican runner Usain Bolt bagged the gold medal in the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London, Britain. However, a Japanese researcher discovered that a sea creature could beat Mr Bolt's record at 11.2 metres per second.
Jun Yamamoto, researcher Hokkaido University, disclosed over the weekend that discovery of the Neon Flying Squid's ability to shoot off the water at high speed, open its fins to glide up to 11.2 metres per second and fly a distance of about 30 metres.
He explained that the squid flies to avoid predators. Mr Yamamoto and his team, who published their study about the squid in Germany's Marine Biology science magazine last week, discovered the squid's ability to fly while tracking in July 2011 a crowd of about 100 squids in northwest Pacific, 600 kilometres east of Tokyo.
When their research boat approached the squids, the sea creatures which measure about 20 centimetres, launched into the air by using a powerful jet of water that shot out from their stems. He said the fins and the web between the squid's arms create aerodynamic lift and keep the squid stable on its flight path.
"There were witnesses who said squid were seen flying. However, no one had clarified how they actually do it. We have proved that it is true."
However, with their ability to fly, the squid becomes vulnerable to other predators such as sea birds. Whether it is on air or under the water, the squid is a food source for humans and is a popular among Asians.
It can be cooked as stuffed squids, stir fried, stewed mixed with vinegar and as mixed with salt and pepper, which is a popular appetiser.
Here are three popular recipes for this sea creature known also for its strong odour and black ink that could be utilised in some of the dishes such as this Filipino food.
Done the Korean way
and calamari way as demonstrated by the Aussie griller..
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’