NBA Trade Rumors: Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls Interested In J.J. Redick? Milwaukee Bucks Another Player In Trade Talks? Boston Celtics Still In The Mix?
February 11, 2013 7:18 AM EST
Three middling long-range shooting clubs are reportedly interested in the services of Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick.
The Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls are the latest teams tied to Redick, according to reports from website HoopsWorld.com. The site also repoted Chicago actually signed Redick to an offer sheet back in 2010, but Orlando matched. Redick has improved his scoring in each of the subsequent three seasons.
The Milwaukee Bucks were another club sniffing around Redick, according to ESPN.com, with interest in signing him beyond this season.
Redick is in the final season of a three-year deal, making the $6 million owed to him another attractive trade chip for Orlando. Milwaukee could use Redick as insurance should another club outspend them on an offer sheet for point guard Brandon Jennings this summer, or if they decide to let Beno Udrih walk.
Second on the Magic in scoring with 15.3 points per game, Redick has been known as a sharpshooter since his days at Duke, but took time to develop at the next level and to get on former Orlando head coach Stan Van Gundy’s good side. He has also reached career highs in assists and rebounds, and improved foot speed has helped him on the defensive end.
Redick is shooting a shade under 40 percent from three, which could help each club tied to him. Milwaukee is ranked 13th, Chicago 14th, and Indiana 15th from deep range.
All three are currently playoff teams, and at one point or another will face the New York Knicks, Miami Heat or Atlanta Hawks, each ranked in the top five in three-point shooting.
The Magic probably won’t want to take back any salary, but rather picks and expiring deals. Next season Orlando is on the hook for nearly $74 million in payroll, but will be major players in the summer of 2014 with an expected $50 million in cap room.
The Boston Celtics were one of the first teams linked to Redick last month, but reports suggest they are unwilling to part with their young assets like guard Avery Bradley or forward Jared Sullinger.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners