NBA Trade Rumors: Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls Interested In J.J. Redick? Milwaukee Bucks Another Player In Trade Talks? Boston Celtics Still In The Mix?
February 11, 2013 7:18 AM EST
Three middling long-range shooting clubs are reportedly interested in the services of Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick.
The Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls are the latest teams tied to Redick, according to reports from website HoopsWorld.com. The site also repoted Chicago actually signed Redick to an offer sheet back in 2010, but Orlando matched. Redick has improved his scoring in each of the subsequent three seasons.
The Milwaukee Bucks were another club sniffing around Redick, according to ESPN.com, with interest in signing him beyond this season.
Redick is in the final season of a three-year deal, making the $6 million owed to him another attractive trade chip for Orlando. Milwaukee could use Redick as insurance should another club outspend them on an offer sheet for point guard Brandon Jennings this summer, or if they decide to let Beno Udrih walk.
Second on the Magic in scoring with 15.3 points per game, Redick has been known as a sharpshooter since his days at Duke, but took time to develop at the next level and to get on former Orlando head coach Stan Van Gundy’s good side. He has also reached career highs in assists and rebounds, and improved foot speed has helped him on the defensive end.
Redick is shooting a shade under 40 percent from three, which could help each club tied to him. Milwaukee is ranked 13th, Chicago 14th, and Indiana 15th from deep range.
All three are currently playoff teams, and at one point or another will face the New York Knicks, Miami Heat or Atlanta Hawks, each ranked in the top five in three-point shooting.
The Magic probably won’t want to take back any salary, but rather picks and expiring deals. Next season Orlando is on the hook for nearly $74 million in payroll, but will be major players in the summer of 2014 with an expected $50 million in cap room.
The Boston Celtics were one of the first teams linked to Redick last month, but reports suggest they are unwilling to part with their young assets like guard Avery Bradley or forward Jared Sullinger.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales