NBA Trade Rumors: Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls Interested In J.J. Redick? Milwaukee Bucks Another Player In Trade Talks? Boston Celtics Still In The Mix?
February 11, 2013 7:18 AM EST
Three middling long-range shooting clubs are reportedly interested in the services of Orlando Magic guard J.J. Redick.
The Indiana Pacers and Chicago Bulls are the latest teams tied to Redick, according to reports from website HoopsWorld.com. The site also repoted Chicago actually signed Redick to an offer sheet back in 2010, but Orlando matched. Redick has improved his scoring in each of the subsequent three seasons.
The Milwaukee Bucks were another club sniffing around Redick, according to ESPN.com, with interest in signing him beyond this season.
Redick is in the final season of a three-year deal, making the $6 million owed to him another attractive trade chip for Orlando. Milwaukee could use Redick as insurance should another club outspend them on an offer sheet for point guard Brandon Jennings this summer, or if they decide to let Beno Udrih walk.
Second on the Magic in scoring with 15.3 points per game, Redick has been known as a sharpshooter since his days at Duke, but took time to develop at the next level and to get on former Orlando head coach Stan Van Gundy’s good side. He has also reached career highs in assists and rebounds, and improved foot speed has helped him on the defensive end.
Redick is shooting a shade under 40 percent from three, which could help each club tied to him. Milwaukee is ranked 13th, Chicago 14th, and Indiana 15th from deep range.
All three are currently playoff teams, and at one point or another will face the New York Knicks, Miami Heat or Atlanta Hawks, each ranked in the top five in three-point shooting.
The Magic probably won’t want to take back any salary, but rather picks and expiring deals. Next season Orlando is on the hook for nearly $74 million in payroll, but will be major players in the summer of 2014 with an expected $50 million in cap room.
The Boston Celtics were one of the first teams linked to Redick last month, but reports suggest they are unwilling to part with their young assets like guard Avery Bradley or forward Jared Sullinger.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen