UK Super-Rich Get Richer as Pay Gap Widens
By Timur Moon | February 11, 2013 3:25 AM EST
The top 1 percent of Britain's earners pocket 10p of every single pound the nation earns, while the poorest 50 percent take home only 18p between them, according to a report published this week into Britain's widening inequality gap.
The top 1 percent of earners have seen their pay rise by 3p, from a total of 7p in every pound earned in the UK in the mid-1990s, while the bottom 50 percent has seen its earnings fall by 1p over the same period, according to the report by the Resolution Foundation thinktank.
"If we take the longer view, we see the very wealthiest have continued to prosper, while many others have not," said Matthew Whittaker, senior economist at the Resolution Foundation.
"The growing gap in incomes is pronounced when you look at the top 10th of households, and overwhelming when you consider the position of the top 1 percent.
"The rest of society hasn't kept up. It's the squeezed majority, not just the squeezed middle."
Earnings for the super-rich dipped between 2009-11, but analysts suggest this was due to the highest-paid employees bringing their earnings forward to avoid the 50p top rate of income tax on earnings above £150,000. Chancellor George Osborne has cut the top rate to 45p from April 2013.
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development has warned the government of the dangers of rising inequality. "Labour market conditions are widening the income gap between full-time employees and an increasing share of the workforce on part-time, insecure and low-wage jobs," the OECD said. "This comes in a context where income inequality was already high and rising before the recession."
Labour leader Ed Miliband has called for a "pre-distribution" policy to narrow the income gap, while deputy prime minister Nick Clegg called for a "mansion tax" on homes worth more than £2million. Others have backed plans to introduce a Living Wage of £8.55 an hour in London and £7.45 elsewhere.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales