Knicks Trade Rumors: New York’s Iman Shumpert On His Way To Phoenix Suns? Jared Dudley, Sebastian Telfair Up For Grabs?
February 11, 2013 2:35 AM EST
The New York Knicks are learning that when you’re on top, teams will throw plenty of offers your way.
Currently second in the Eastern Conference and making a charge for first, New York has been approached by the Phoenix Suns regarding second-year guard Iman Shumpert, according to a report by Yahoo!Sports late Saturday.
Phoenix is reportedly willing to give up three-point threat Jared Dudley, and hope to use Shumpert to improve their backcourt. The report states the Suns regretted not selecting the Georgia Tech product in the 2011 draft, and see him as a fresh, solid foundation.
However the Knicks are not interested. Shumpert just returned from a knee injury back in mid-January and has played limited minutes. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, and head coach Mike Woodson has slowly worked Shumpert back into to the rotation, averaging 18.9 minutes, but starting the past 11 games.
During his rookie season, Shumpert was already considered one of the top perimeter defenders in the league, and at 22-years-old he is far and away the youngest Knick by five years. New York is the oldest team not only this season, but in NBA history. After Shumpert, the Knicks have very few capable defenders along the perimeter, and will have to consider who will check the likes of Miami’s Dwyane Wade and Indiana’s Paul George come playoff time. Shumpert is also a steal with two years and $4.5 million left on his rookie contract.
Dudley could only bolster New York’s fifth-best three-point percentage, as he’s a career 40.6 percent from the beyond the arc. However, he is owed more than $12 million over the next three seasons, and the Knicks are already in danger of paying a hefty payroll tax in the coming seasons.
The Suns are also shopping guard Sebastian Telfair, according to Yahoo!, and his $1.5 million expiring contract could interest some playoff teams searching for point guard depth at a cheaper rate.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage