Lothar Matthaus Claims Bayern Have Signed Manchester United Target
By Vishnuprasad S | February 10, 2013 11:32 PM EST
Germany and Bayern Munich legend Lothar Matthaus claims the Bavarians have agreed a deal with Borussia Dortmund over the transfer of striker Robert Lewandowski.
The 24-year-old, who has been heavily linked with Manchester United since last summer, is now understood to be a top target for Bayern, following his impressive performances for the Bundesliga champions over the past two years.
Recent speculation stated Bayern have already agreed a deal with Dortmund that will see the Poland international move to the Allianz ArenA in the summer, to become new manager Pep Guardiola's first signing. And though the Borussians played down this report last week, Matthaus has now re-fuelled the rumours.
"I was on the road this week. I heard that Lewandowski has an agreement with Bayern. Only the date of the move remains undecided," Goal.com quoted Matthaus as saying.
"Lewandowski's contract runs out in 2014 and Dortmund will only get a fee in 2013 - surely a high fee. I heard it was something between €25m - €30m [£21m - £25m], otherwise he will go to Bayern for free next year," the 51-year-old pointed out.
Lewandowski, who joined Dortmund from native side Lech Poznan in 2010, has made 29 appearances for the club in all competitions this season, notching 19 goals and eight assists. Matthaus feels the Pole's link-up play and work rate could make him a better option for Guardiola than Bayern's current striker Mario Gomez.
"I think he is a player that fits more into the system of Guardiola than Gomez. He showed Guardiola last week in [Bayer] Leverkusen how a forward is not only an attacker but also drops deeper," Matthaus added.
Dortmund Tracking Dzeko - Report
Meanwhile, Dortmund are considering a summer move for Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko as a replacement for Lewandowski, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Bosnia international has been used mostly as a substitute by Roberto Mancini this season and the report claims the Borussians are planning to lure the former Wolfsburg star back to the Bundesliga.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage