Lothar Matthaus Claims Bayern Have Signed Manchester United Target
By Vishnuprasad S | February 10, 2013 11:32 PM EST
Germany and Bayern Munich legend Lothar Matthaus claims the Bavarians have agreed a deal with Borussia Dortmund over the transfer of striker Robert Lewandowski.
The 24-year-old, who has been heavily linked with Manchester United since last summer, is now understood to be a top target for Bayern, following his impressive performances for the Bundesliga champions over the past two years.
Recent speculation stated Bayern have already agreed a deal with Dortmund that will see the Poland international move to the Allianz ArenA in the summer, to become new manager Pep Guardiola's first signing. And though the Borussians played down this report last week, Matthaus has now re-fuelled the rumours.
"I was on the road this week. I heard that Lewandowski has an agreement with Bayern. Only the date of the move remains undecided," Goal.com quoted Matthaus as saying.
"Lewandowski's contract runs out in 2014 and Dortmund will only get a fee in 2013 - surely a high fee. I heard it was something between €25m - €30m [£21m - £25m], otherwise he will go to Bayern for free next year," the 51-year-old pointed out.
Lewandowski, who joined Dortmund from native side Lech Poznan in 2010, has made 29 appearances for the club in all competitions this season, notching 19 goals and eight assists. Matthaus feels the Pole's link-up play and work rate could make him a better option for Guardiola than Bayern's current striker Mario Gomez.
"I think he is a player that fits more into the system of Guardiola than Gomez. He showed Guardiola last week in [Bayer] Leverkusen how a forward is not only an attacker but also drops deeper," Matthaus added.
Dortmund Tracking Dzeko - Report
Meanwhile, Dortmund are considering a summer move for Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko as a replacement for Lewandowski, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Bosnia international has been used mostly as a substitute by Roberto Mancini this season and the report claims the Borussians are planning to lure the former Wolfsburg star back to the Bundesliga.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Marcos Maidana Heavily Praised By Mexican Boxing Legends
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble