Lothar Matthaus Claims Bayern Have Signed Manchester United Target
By Vishnuprasad S | February 10, 2013 11:32 PM EST
Germany and Bayern Munich legend Lothar Matthaus claims the Bavarians have agreed a deal with Borussia Dortmund over the transfer of striker Robert Lewandowski.
The 24-year-old, who has been heavily linked with Manchester United since last summer, is now understood to be a top target for Bayern, following his impressive performances for the Bundesliga champions over the past two years.
Recent speculation stated Bayern have already agreed a deal with Dortmund that will see the Poland international move to the Allianz ArenA in the summer, to become new manager Pep Guardiola's first signing. And though the Borussians played down this report last week, Matthaus has now re-fuelled the rumours.
"I was on the road this week. I heard that Lewandowski has an agreement with Bayern. Only the date of the move remains undecided," Goal.com quoted Matthaus as saying.
"Lewandowski's contract runs out in 2014 and Dortmund will only get a fee in 2013 - surely a high fee. I heard it was something between €25m - €30m [£21m - £25m], otherwise he will go to Bayern for free next year," the 51-year-old pointed out.
Lewandowski, who joined Dortmund from native side Lech Poznan in 2010, has made 29 appearances for the club in all competitions this season, notching 19 goals and eight assists. Matthaus feels the Pole's link-up play and work rate could make him a better option for Guardiola than Bayern's current striker Mario Gomez.
"I think he is a player that fits more into the system of Guardiola than Gomez. He showed Guardiola last week in [Bayer] Leverkusen how a forward is not only an attacker but also drops deeper," Matthaus added.
Dortmund Tracking Dzeko - Report
Meanwhile, Dortmund are considering a summer move for Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko as a replacement for Lewandowski, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Bosnia international has been used mostly as a substitute by Roberto Mancini this season and the report claims the Borussians are planning to lure the former Wolfsburg star back to the Bundesliga.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia