Ferguson: Ronaldo is Better Than Zidane
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2013 10:21 PM EST
Ferguson, who sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid for a record ₤80m fee in 2009, is wary of his goal scoring prowess. The Portuguese international exacerbated Ferguson's fear with a hattrick against Sevilla in a 4-1 romp at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday 9 February. This takes his current tally in the league to 24 in 22 appearances and the 28-year-old will be looking to add to his six goals in the Champions League when they take on United.
"Florentino Perez had all the Galacticos at Real Madrid when he was president first time around. He had Figo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, Raul in that spell. But I don't think any of those players were as good as Ronaldo. Zidane was a fantastic player, Figo was a fantastic player. But not as good as Ronaldo. So I think Mourinho's team are still living up to the reputation that Real Madrid can produce the top players," he said.
This may be a ploy by Ferguson to put pressure on Ronaldo, who has missed out on the Ballon d'Or for the third time in succession to Barcelona rival Lionel Messi, and will have a tough time living up to his reputation against United, given the players he has been compared with.
"Ronaldo has beaten all the records there. He's beaten Di Stefano, Puskas, Hugo Sanchez. So obviously he is indelibly printed in their history now. You have to say he is pivotal to all they do - 179 goals in 178 matches tells its own story. I think I might have to think about blackmail. I might have to tell a true story about him! He's a fantastic player. I knew he would improve tremendously, he was still young when he left us," Sir Alex added.
Manchester United are currently clear favourites to win the Premier League this season, with the Red Devils capable of taking a 12-point lead over Manchester City at the top of the table with a win over Everton. However, Ferguson will be looking to complete a treble this season, last accomplished in the 1998/99 season and will be looking to progress to the quarter final with a win over Real Madrid having already made it through to the fifth round of the FA Cup, where they take on Reading at Old Trafford.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]