Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2013: Kate Upton Goes ‘Polar Bare’ on Her Second Straight Cover
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2013 9:27 PM EST
American model Kate Upton has retained pride of place as the cover girl for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for the second consecutive year. The 20-year-old was photographed in Antarctica, wearing little apart from an unzipped and unbuttoned hooded jacket and a white bikini bottom.
The tag on the cover reads: "Kate Upton Goes Polar Bare ... and Then Sizzles in Body Paint." The photograph was originally leaked on the Internet, forcing the magazine to release the original version.
Upton and nine other models from the issue will officially launch the magazine with an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman on 11 February.
According to Forbes, Upton is the ninth model to appear on the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover twice. Elle Macpherson holds the record, gracing the cover five times. Supermodel Tyra Banks was the last back-to-back cover girl, in 1996 and 1997.
Upton, a native of Melbourne, Florida, made her first Sports Illustrated appearance in 2011, when she was named the magazine's Rookie of the Year. The following year, she appeared on the cover issue of the Swimsuit edition.
Upton has attracted her fair share of controversy. Last summer, a website called skinnygossip accused the young model of being fat. The Sun quoted the offending article: "Guess who?! Yes, it's the lovely Kate Upton, confidently lumbering up a runway like there's a buffet at the end of it. She looks thick, vulgar, almost pornographic - and she is a solid 30lbs too heavy for this outfit."
In response, Upton said: "I'm not going to starve just to be thin. I want to enjoy life and I can't if I'm not eating and miserable."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate