Recognised developer iH8Sn0w recently released an update to his popular Windows jailbreak tool, Sn0wBreeze v2.9.9, bringing bug fixes for Apple TV 2. One of the key features is that it supports untethered jailbreak for iOS 6.x on A4 devices including the Apple TV 2.
iH8sn0w has updated Sn0wBreeze v2.9.9.
New features of Sn0wBreeaze v2.9.9
1) Fixed issue with device not showing up in iTunes/xcode
2) Fixed bug when betiding iPhone 3, 2 (iPhone 4 GSM-Rev2) IPSW
3) Apple TV 2 bug fixes
4) Now adds evasi0n untether directly to Cydia (for future updates)
5) Added 5.2/6.0.x/6.1 untethers provided by evad3rs
6) Added iOS 6.1 support for iPhone 3GS and A4 devices
7) Fixed Hacktivation issues on 6.0.x
8) Fixed some iFaith mode bugs
Head over to the source page to learn more about the bug issues of the latest release.
Apple TV 2 users who wish to jailbreak their devices running on iOS 5.2 may follow our step-by-step jailbreak tutorial below to do so using Sn0wBreeze for Windows. This is an untethered jailbreak. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be responsible for any damage to the device.
Steps to untethered jailbreak Apple TV 2 on iOS 5.2 with Sn0wBreeze v2.9.9
1) Create a folder on the desktop by name Pwnage
Download the Apple TV 2 iOS 5.2 firmware
Download Sn0wBreeze v2.9.9
Now transfer both the downloaded file in to the Pwnage folder
2) Extract the Sn0wBreeze archive to the same Pwnage folder. Launch the Swn0Breeze application from the extracted folder
3) Click the arrow at the bottom right to begin. Then click 'Browse for an IPSW' option
4) Navigate to the Pwnage folder on the desktop, select the IPSW, which is just downloaded and click 'Open'
5) Once the device is determined, click the arrow at the bottom right to continue. From there select 'Simple Mode'
6) Users will be now asked to set the root partition size. Leave the default option and click the arrow at the bottom right to continue
7) The custom IPSW will now be generated. Once the custom IPSW creation is completed, a warning message will appear stating 'After setting up your Apple TV, the screen may be blank for 60 seconds.' Click OK button
8) Another message saying 'Would you like to donate to the evad3rs for the untether?' will appear. Users may click 'yes' in case they wish to donate immediately or no if they do not want to donate at this time
9) Users will then be informed that custom IPSW has been placed on the desktop. Click the OK button to begin instructions on how to put the device into a restorable state
10) Plug the Apple TV 2 into the computer using USB cable and click Start
11) Press and hold Menu and Play/Pause buttons on the Apple TV's remote for about seven seconds and then release
12) After the completion of the action, iREB will run placing the device into a Pwned DFU state and iTunes will be ready to restore the custom IPSW
13) Hold the Shift key and click the 'Restore Apple TV....." option
14) Browse to the desktop and select the custom IPSW that Sn0wBreeze placed there and click the 'Open' button
15) iTunes will then prompt to confirm the restore. Click the 'Restore' button
16) Once Apple TV has restored successfully, the new jailbroken device will be ready to use
Note: If the UI seems to be slightly scrambled once the Apple TV boots up for the first time after the complete procedure, a reboot will fix this. In addition to that, some of the Apple TV tweaks may not be ready for iOS 5.2, so double check before updating.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: