Winter Storm Nemo Chugs Along; More Than 3 Feet Of Snow Seen In Parts Of New England
By Roxanne Palmer | February 10, 2013 5:33 AM EST
The snow is piling up high in the Northeastern U.S. as Winter Storm Nemo chugs along.
As of 9 a.m. on Saturday, the storm's center was about 160 miles east-southeast of Hyannis, Mass., according to the National Weather Service. Nemo is expected to move along a northeastward track, spreading snow and wind throughout New England on Saturday before tapering off by the end of the weekend.
The large snow accumulation and strong winds mean that “travel conditions will continue to be extremely hazardous if not impossible,” the NWS said.
On Saturday, Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick announced that he would lift the statewide travel ban on most vehicles, in place since Friday, at 4 pm. Patrick encouraged citizens to stay of the roads if they could, though, to make room for plows, public safety and utility vehicles.
Early on Saturday morning, more than 650,000 homes and businesses had lost power thanks to Nemo, according to USA Today. At least four deaths have been attributed to the storm thus far -- one in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and three in Canada, all from car accidents.
The city with the highest snow total as of Saturday morning was Milford, Conn., which saw over 38 inches.
In New York, the highest snow level as of Saturday morning was in Upton, a hamlet of Long Island and the home of Brookhaven National Laboratory, where 30.3 inches fell. At La Guardia airport, the snow piled up just over a foot, while about 11 inches of snow accumulated in Central Park.
Manchester, Mass., had the highest snowfall in the Bay State thus far with 32 inches. Boston could see as much as three feet of snow by the time Nemo moves on.
Rhode Island's highest snow total as of Saturday morning came from West Glocester, where 25.7 inches had accumulated.
In Portland, Maine, Nemo entered the record books after dumping 29.3 inches of snow, well above the previous record of 27 inches set in 1979. The highest snow total in Maine came in the town of Gorham, where nearly 33 inches fell.
Strong wind gusts across the Northeast have caused power outages from Long Island to New England. Near Cuttyhunk, a Massachusetts island west of Martha's Vineyard, wind gusts reached up to 82 miles per hour.
Coastal flooding has also inundated much of the Northeast, with the worst floods seen in Massachusetts.
The full effect of Nemo's wrath still remains to be seen as New England digs itself out of the snowdrift later this weekend. On Saturday morning in New York City, with the worst of the storm already passed, subways were running relatively smoothly, and many citizens took to the streets and parks to enjoy the powder, which has been relatively scarce in recent years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighters Have Found A Bone In Mars Amidst Reports of UFO Sighting[Watch Video]
- Facts On ALS Disease: Symptoms, Causes And Treatment
- HIV Cure: Shock-and-Kill Method Unlocks 'No Remission' Possibility for Future Treatments
- Camel Milk Holds Answer for Diabetes, Autism, Lactose Intolerance, Allergies
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch