Winter Storm Nemo Chugs Along; More Than 3 Feet Of Snow Seen In Parts Of New England
By Roxanne Palmer | February 10, 2013 5:33 AM EST
The snow is piling up high in the Northeastern U.S. as Winter Storm Nemo chugs along.
As of 9 a.m. on Saturday, the storm's center was about 160 miles east-southeast of Hyannis, Mass., according to the National Weather Service. Nemo is expected to move along a northeastward track, spreading snow and wind throughout New England on Saturday before tapering off by the end of the weekend.
The large snow accumulation and strong winds mean that “travel conditions will continue to be extremely hazardous if not impossible,” the NWS said.
On Saturday, Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick announced that he would lift the statewide travel ban on most vehicles, in place since Friday, at 4 pm. Patrick encouraged citizens to stay of the roads if they could, though, to make room for plows, public safety and utility vehicles.
Early on Saturday morning, more than 650,000 homes and businesses had lost power thanks to Nemo, according to USA Today. At least four deaths have been attributed to the storm thus far -- one in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and three in Canada, all from car accidents.
The city with the highest snow total as of Saturday morning was Milford, Conn., which saw over 38 inches.
In New York, the highest snow level as of Saturday morning was in Upton, a hamlet of Long Island and the home of Brookhaven National Laboratory, where 30.3 inches fell. At La Guardia airport, the snow piled up just over a foot, while about 11 inches of snow accumulated in Central Park.
Manchester, Mass., had the highest snowfall in the Bay State thus far with 32 inches. Boston could see as much as three feet of snow by the time Nemo moves on.
Rhode Island's highest snow total as of Saturday morning came from West Glocester, where 25.7 inches had accumulated.
In Portland, Maine, Nemo entered the record books after dumping 29.3 inches of snow, well above the previous record of 27 inches set in 1979. The highest snow total in Maine came in the town of Gorham, where nearly 33 inches fell.
Strong wind gusts across the Northeast have caused power outages from Long Island to New England. Near Cuttyhunk, a Massachusetts island west of Martha's Vineyard, wind gusts reached up to 82 miles per hour.
Coastal flooding has also inundated much of the Northeast, with the worst floods seen in Massachusetts.
The full effect of Nemo's wrath still remains to be seen as New England digs itself out of the snowdrift later this weekend. On Saturday morning in New York City, with the worst of the storm already passed, subways were running relatively smoothly, and many citizens took to the streets and parks to enjoy the powder, which has been relatively scarce in recent years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports