'Vishwaroopam' Box Office Collection: Kamal Haasan's Controversial Film Earns ₹5 Crore In Tamil Nadu
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2013 5:16 AM EST
Superstar Kamal Haasan's controversial film, "Vishwaroopam" rocked at the box office despite the delay in its release in many Indian states, earning more than ₹5 crore from Tamil Nadu state alone.
It is reported that the Tamil version, "Vishwaroopam", which was released in 600 theatres across the state on Thursday, raked in more than ₹5 crore on the opening day. The collection is expected to shoot up in the weekend.
The overseas box office collection of the Tamil and Telugu versions in the second weekend is ₹7.64 crore, and the domestic box office collection of the Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" in seven days is ₹11.50 crore, according to trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh.
All the three versions (Tamil, Telugu and Hindi) of the film was originally scheduled for release worldwide on Jan 25 but it was released only abroad due to legal due to protests by Muslim groups who alleged that a few scenes portrayed the community in bad light.
The Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" was released in about 800 theatres on Feb 1 but the Tamil version was delayed after the Jayalalithaa government imposed banned on its screening citing Section 144 of CrPC despite clearance by the censor board.
The 11-day ban in Tamil Nadu reportedly cost the actor-producer between ₹30 and ₹50 crore.
The makers of the film finally announced the release date of the film in Tamil Nadu after the state government lifted the ban following an "amicable settlement" with the Muslim groups.
Kamal Haasan not only wrote and directed "Vishwaroopam" but also co-produced it with Chandra Haasan and Prasad Vara Potluri. It features Kamal, Rahul Bose, Pooja Kumar, Andrea Jeremiah and Jaideep Ahlawat in the lead roles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga