Emma Watson Defends Kristen Stewart Over Cheating Scandal: 'Everyone Makes Mistakes'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2013 2:22 AM EST
After “Twilight” start Kristen Stewart cheated on boyfriend and costar Robert Pattinson last summer, fans around the world were outraged. Now, in a new interview with Vanity Fair Italia, Emma Watson, who starred in “Harry Potter” and “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” has spoken up to defend Stewart by saying “Everyone makes mistakes.”
"Those who criticized her are the same people that think that being rich and famous is like being covered in some kind of magic powder that makes life perfect. Nothing can go wrong in your wonderful world," Watson said, according to HollywoodLife’s recap of the interview with Vanity Fair Italia. "For these people, Kristen deserves all the bad things that have been thrown at her because she had an amazing life and she ruined it."
Over the summer, word broke that Stewart, 22, had cheated on Pattinson with Rupert Sanders, 42, director of Stewart’s then-recent movie, “Snow White and the Huntsman.” Fans of the “Twilight” mega-couple were outraged at Steward, even after the two later got back together.
“I don’t know how to explain it, but it sure isn’t perfect,” Watson added. “I thought that the media picked on her in a very horrible way. Kristen is human, just like everybody else, and she’s so young. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. It’s not fair to consider them matters of public interest.”
Finally, Watson said that she could understand why so many people were upset at Stewart over the incident.
“On one hand, I can understand why it happened: people felt really involved in her relationship with Robert Pattinson,” she said. “But it’s also true that they both have done everything in their power to keep their relationship as far from the public eye as possible.”
Kristen Stewart has also apologized for her cheating scandal at the time.
"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and embarrassment I've caused to those close to me and everyone this has affected," she said in a statement last summer. "This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools