Emma Watson Defends Kristen Stewart Over Cheating Scandal: 'Everyone Makes Mistakes'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 10, 2013 2:22 AM EST
After “Twilight” start Kristen Stewart cheated on boyfriend and costar Robert Pattinson last summer, fans around the world were outraged. Now, in a new interview with Vanity Fair Italia, Emma Watson, who starred in “Harry Potter” and “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” has spoken up to defend Stewart by saying “Everyone makes mistakes.”
"Those who criticized her are the same people that think that being rich and famous is like being covered in some kind of magic powder that makes life perfect. Nothing can go wrong in your wonderful world," Watson said, according to HollywoodLife’s recap of the interview with Vanity Fair Italia. "For these people, Kristen deserves all the bad things that have been thrown at her because she had an amazing life and she ruined it."
Over the summer, word broke that Stewart, 22, had cheated on Pattinson with Rupert Sanders, 42, director of Stewart’s then-recent movie, “Snow White and the Huntsman.” Fans of the “Twilight” mega-couple were outraged at Steward, even after the two later got back together.
“I don’t know how to explain it, but it sure isn’t perfect,” Watson added. “I thought that the media picked on her in a very horrible way. Kristen is human, just like everybody else, and she’s so young. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone. It’s not fair to consider them matters of public interest.”
Finally, Watson said that she could understand why so many people were upset at Stewart over the incident.
“On one hand, I can understand why it happened: people felt really involved in her relationship with Robert Pattinson,” she said. “But it’s also true that they both have done everything in their power to keep their relationship as far from the public eye as possible.”
Kristen Stewart has also apologized for her cheating scandal at the time.
"I'm deeply sorry for the hurt and embarrassment I've caused to those close to me and everyone this has affected," she said in a statement last summer. "This momentary indiscretion has jeopardized the most important thing in my life, the person I love and respect the most, Rob. I love him, I love him, I'm so sorry."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff