England Hit Record Score to Beat New Zealand
By Tom Porter | February 9, 2013 11:44 PM EST
England cruised to a record win in their Twenty20 match against New Zealand today, beating their opponents by 40 runs and hitting 15 sixes.
The victory in Eden Park, Auckland, gives England a 1-0 lead with two to play against New Zealand, as they chalked up a ground record with 214 for seven.
The final 214-7 result beats their previous 202-6 record score against South Africa in 2009.
England made the most of the ground's notoriously short boundaries, hitting sixteen fours as well as 15 sixes, although New Zealand's catching was sloppy.
New Zealand's chances faded when Brendon McCullum was superbly caught by Eoin Morgan off Finn, who also caught the returning Ross Taylor on the boundary for 13.
Stuart Broad's then scored two wickets in the 15th over to snuff out New Zealand's chances.
Asked if it was the best England T20 performance he could remember, Broad said on Sky Sports 1: "Certainly that I've captained.
"Looking back to the 2010 World Cup where we won we were fantastic throughout that tournament, but to go and get a record score of 214, that's the exciting thing in the team, to have that mindset to go and get such a high score."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide