England Hit Record Score to Beat New Zealand
By Tom Porter | February 9, 2013 11:44 PM EST
England cruised to a record win in their Twenty20 match against New Zealand today, beating their opponents by 40 runs and hitting 15 sixes.
The victory in Eden Park, Auckland, gives England a 1-0 lead with two to play against New Zealand, as they chalked up a ground record with 214 for seven.
The final 214-7 result beats their previous 202-6 record score against South Africa in 2009.
England made the most of the ground's notoriously short boundaries, hitting sixteen fours as well as 15 sixes, although New Zealand's catching was sloppy.
New Zealand's chances faded when Brendon McCullum was superbly caught by Eoin Morgan off Finn, who also caught the returning Ross Taylor on the boundary for 13.
Stuart Broad's then scored two wickets in the 15th over to snuff out New Zealand's chances.
Asked if it was the best England T20 performance he could remember, Broad said on Sky Sports 1: "Certainly that I've captained.
"Looking back to the 2010 World Cup where we won we were fantastic throughout that tournament, but to go and get a record score of 214, that's the exciting thing in the team, to have that mindset to go and get such a high score."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28