England Hit Record Score to Beat New Zealand
By Tom Porter | February 9, 2013 11:44 PM EST
England cruised to a record win in their Twenty20 match against New Zealand today, beating their opponents by 40 runs and hitting 15 sixes.
The victory in Eden Park, Auckland, gives England a 1-0 lead with two to play against New Zealand, as they chalked up a ground record with 214 for seven.
The final 214-7 result beats their previous 202-6 record score against South Africa in 2009.
England made the most of the ground's notoriously short boundaries, hitting sixteen fours as well as 15 sixes, although New Zealand's catching was sloppy.
New Zealand's chances faded when Brendon McCullum was superbly caught by Eoin Morgan off Finn, who also caught the returning Ross Taylor on the boundary for 13.
Stuart Broad's then scored two wickets in the 15th over to snuff out New Zealand's chances.
Asked if it was the best England T20 performance he could remember, Broad said on Sky Sports 1: "Certainly that I've captained.
"Looking back to the 2010 World Cup where we won we were fantastic throughout that tournament, but to go and get a record score of 214, that's the exciting thing in the team, to have that mindset to go and get such a high score."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date