England Hit Record Score to Beat New Zealand
By Tom Porter | February 9, 2013 11:44 PM EST
England cruised to a record win in their Twenty20 match against New Zealand today, beating their opponents by 40 runs and hitting 15 sixes.
The victory in Eden Park, Auckland, gives England a 1-0 lead with two to play against New Zealand, as they chalked up a ground record with 214 for seven.
The final 214-7 result beats their previous 202-6 record score against South Africa in 2009.
England made the most of the ground's notoriously short boundaries, hitting sixteen fours as well as 15 sixes, although New Zealand's catching was sloppy.
New Zealand's chances faded when Brendon McCullum was superbly caught by Eoin Morgan off Finn, who also caught the returning Ross Taylor on the boundary for 13.
Stuart Broad's then scored two wickets in the 15th over to snuff out New Zealand's chances.
Asked if it was the best England T20 performance he could remember, Broad said on Sky Sports 1: "Certainly that I've captained.
"Looking back to the 2010 World Cup where we won we were fantastic throughout that tournament, but to go and get a record score of 214, that's the exciting thing in the team, to have that mindset to go and get such a high score."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage