Earth Faces Close Encounter with 50-Metre Asteroid
By Timur Moon | February 9, 2013 11:36 PM EST
A 50-metre asteroid will pass closer to the Earth than any comparably sized object for 15 years, according to scientists at Nasa.
In the closest near-miss in years, the asteroid - known as 2012 DA 14 - is forecast to pass Earth at a distance of 17,000 miles at 7.26pm on 15 February, travelling through the sky at approximately eight miles per second.
Asteroids the size of DA14 strike Earth roughly once every 1,200 years, said Nasa astronomer Donald Yeomans.
"For objects this size, this is the closest predicted encounter we're aware of," said Yeomans, adding: "No Earth impact is possible."
DA14 was discovered last year by amateur astronomers in Spain. Had it been set on a collision course with Earth, it would strike the planet with the force of around 2.4million tonnes of dynamite, scientists estimated.
Nasa's early warning system tracks all near-Earth objects sized above 1km in diameter.
"Basketball-size objects come in daily," said Yeomans. "Volkswagen-sized objects come in every couple of weeks. As you get to larger and larger sizes, the number of objects out there is less and less, so the frequency of hits goes down."
Lindley Johnson, head of the Near-Earth Object Observations Programme at Nasa headquarters in Washington DC, added: "Although they woudn't cause a global catastrophe if they impact the Earth, they still do a lot of regional destruction."
The planet's last direct hit occurred in 1908, when a comet exploded over Siberia, destroying 80 million trees over 830 square miles.
About 60 million years ago, a six-mile-wide asteroid smashed into the Yucatán peninsular in Mexico, killing most of the planet's plant and animal life, including the then dominant dinosaurs.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans