Volkswagen CEO may stay on to launch next Golf: report
February 9, 2013 10:14 PM EST
VW Chairman Ferdinand Piech said in an interview last November that Winterkorn could stay for another five to seven years and that he had asked his chief executive to take charge of the next Golf.
"I want to play a decisive role in shaping the next generation of the Golf" hatchback, Winterkorn told the magazine in an interview published on Saturday. The next makeover of VW's best-selling model may come to market around 2018.
Winterkorn's second term as CEO of VW runs out in December 2016. The 65-year-old has been at the helm of the Wolfsburg-based auto manufacturer since January 2007.
Winterkorn also told Der Spiegel that VW currently has over 120,000 orders for the seventh-generation Golf which went on sale last year.
(Reporting by Andreas Cremer; Editing by Toby Chopra)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around