Samsung has begun pushing out the Android 4.1.2 (XXLSR) Jelly Bean software update for its second generation Galaxy S series smartphone with model number I9100G starting from France. The XXLSR Jelly Bean firmware is completely unbranded and can be installed via OTA or through Samsung Kies. The update is expected to reach other parts of the world soon.
Samsung has released Android
4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S2 I9100G.
The Android 4.1.2 XXLSR Jelly Bean carries several innovative features including new user interface (UI), TouchWiz Nature UX, improved camera function, new Lockscreen, Direct Call, Smart Stay, Pop-up Play, new Widgets, new notification bar and Google Now.
Meanwhile, XDA developer, Ryuinferno, has released an easier method allowing users to root their devices by flashing the zip files directly via stock 3e recovery. The key feature of this release is that the root package can be used for rooting both Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean running Galaxy S2 I9100G. Besides, it does not increase the binary counter.
Features of the root file
1) SuperSU v0.99 by Chainfire
2) Busybox v1.20.2 by Stericson
3) No yellow triangle
4) No increase in binary counter
Galaxy S2 users who have already updated their handsets with the latest Jelly Bean official build and are now looking for root method, may follow our step-by-step instructions below to root their devices. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device.
1) Download and install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup for all data of the phone.
4) Ensure that the battery of the Galaxy S2 has more than 70 per cent charge.
5) The phone will lose manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted.
6) Users are advised to verify the model number of their devices since the root method below is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G, and not with any other variant.
Steps to root Galaxy S2 I9100G on Android 4.1.2 XXLSR Jelly Bean
1) Download SU-BB-Installer.zip and place it in the external SD card of the Galaxy S2
2) Switch the phone off
3) Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
4) Using the Volume buttons browse to 'apply update from external storage' then select it by pressing the Power button
5) Select SU-BB-Installer.zip and wait for it to finish and navigate up (select "../")
6) Return to the recovery menu and select Reboot System now in order to reboot the device
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G running on Android 4.1.2 XXLSR Jelly Bean official firmware is now rooted successfully. To ensure that the root method is installed and working properly, verify with the Root Checker app available at Google Play Store.
[Source: XDA Developers]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: