Afzal Guru Execution: Body Buried in Tihar Jail; Family Denies Government Claim, Says ‘They Did Not Tell Us Anything’
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 9, 2013 7:22 PM EST
The body of 2001 parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was buried inside the premises of Tihar Jail. The Jaish-e-Mohammad militant was hanged at 8 am on Saturday amid high secrecy.
Soon after the announcement of Guru's execution by Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Home Secretary RK Singh informed that the mortal remains of Guru would be buried inside the jail.
Officials at Tihar jail said that Guru was calm during his last moments. "Afzal Guru was very peaceful and calm during the final moments. He looked very composed," PTI quoted a top Tihar Jail official as saying.
Meanwhile, Guru's family claimed that they were not informed about the execution and demanded government to hand over his body.
''We want the body of my father... I want to see his face,'' Afzal Guru's son Ghalib told The Indian Express. ''We want to bury him here,'' he added.
Guru's father Ghulam Mohammad Buhroo criticized Sushilkumar Shinde, saying that the Home minister was lying while claiming that the family was informed of the matter.
"We met him (Guru) at Tihar Jail on Raksha Bandan. My wife and Ghalib were accompanying me. If the government would have informed us, we would have atleast gone and met him one last time,'' Buhroo said. ''The government is lying. They did not tell us anything," he added.
Asserting that it was their right to perform the last rites as per rule of their religion, Buhroo said, "How can they bury him inside Tihar jail? He has a family. He has a son, wife and brother. They must hand over the body to us as soon as possible."
"The government must not do another injustice with us by burying," he added.
The government had said that Guru's family was informed of the execution via a speed post letter that stated that the mercy petition submitted to President Pranab Mukherjee was rejected on Feb 3.
Following Guru's execution, curfew was imposed in Jammu & Kashmir valley where two causalities have been rushed into hospital after a protest was reported from Sopore and Baramulla.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation