Eric Schmidt to Sell Google Stake Worth $2.5 Billion
By Geetha Pillai | February 9, 2013 7:16 PM EST
Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt plans to sell nearly 42 percent of his stake in the company, according to a stock filing from Google with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
Schmidt will be unwinding 3.2 million shares of Class A common stock through a stock trading plan which will be worth $2.5bn (£1.6bn, €1.9bn).
He owns about 7.6 million shares of Class A and Class B stock which accounts for 2.3 percent of Google's outstanding shares.
The sale will be spread over a year to avoid any impact on the company's share price. Google shares closed at $781.26, down $4.11 in after-hours trading on Friday.
Google said the stake sale will provide Schmidt "individual asset diversification and liquidity". However, no reason for Schmidt's decision was given.
"My speculation is that Eric's relationship with Google is evolving. I would assume that as he decides he wants to diversify away from Google - both his career and financially - he's got ideas of what he would like to do with some of his funds," Needham & Co analyst Kerry Rice told Reuters.
Schmidt stepped down as the chief executive of Google in April 2011, paving way for the co-founder of the company, Larry Page, to take the helm.
Schmidt made headlines recently with his visit to North Korea and remarks about China. He has called China the "most sophisticated and prolific" hacker of foreign companies in a soon-to-be published book entitled The New Digital Age.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28