Eric Schmidt to Sell Google Stake Worth $2.5 Billion
By Geetha Pillai | February 9, 2013 7:16 PM EST
Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt plans to sell nearly 42 percent of his stake in the company, according to a stock filing from Google with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
Schmidt will be unwinding 3.2 million shares of Class A common stock through a stock trading plan which will be worth $2.5bn (£1.6bn, €1.9bn).
He owns about 7.6 million shares of Class A and Class B stock which accounts for 2.3 percent of Google's outstanding shares.
The sale will be spread over a year to avoid any impact on the company's share price. Google shares closed at $781.26, down $4.11 in after-hours trading on Friday.
Google said the stake sale will provide Schmidt "individual asset diversification and liquidity". However, no reason for Schmidt's decision was given.
"My speculation is that Eric's relationship with Google is evolving. I would assume that as he decides he wants to diversify away from Google - both his career and financially - he's got ideas of what he would like to do with some of his funds," Needham & Co analyst Kerry Rice told Reuters.
Schmidt stepped down as the chief executive of Google in April 2011, paving way for the co-founder of the company, Larry Page, to take the helm.
Schmidt made headlines recently with his visit to North Korea and remarks about China. He has called China the "most sophisticated and prolific" hacker of foreign companies in a soon-to-be published book entitled The New Digital Age.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date