Deadly Snowstorm Wreaks Havoc In Southern Ontario, Heads For Atlantic Canada
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 9, 2013 4:13 PM EST
A snowstorm that plummeted much of south Ontario, including Toronto, has affected motorists, travelers and school goers badly.
In the city's biggest snowfall and blizzard in more than four years, the Greater Toronto area alone was expected to be painted white in as much as 30 centimeters of snow by Friday evening. The last time the city saw half as much snow was in December 2008.
Despite warnings from the police not to drive unless necessary, the Greater Toronto roadways have seen more than 350 minor motor collisions and damages after midnight Friday, the Ontario Provincial Police has said, according to CTV news.
The snowstorm has left at least four people dead, CTV has reported. An 80-year-old woman died in Hamilton early Friday while she was shoveling the snow. A 49-year-old man died in a three-car collision in Pickering, Ont. Another crash along the Highway 401 saw a 57-year-old man from Ottawa dead. In yet another car crash in Marieville, Que., a 23-year-old woman died, the CVT has reported.
Many school boards have remained closed due to the snow.
After wrapping much of the Southern Ontario and many parts of the U.S. with heavy snow, the weather system with the winter storm is making its way towards Quebec Saturday with Atlantic Canada waiting to experience the brunt of the winter blast.
The CBC has reported that three areas of the Atlantic Canada, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia were under the severe weather warning. Newfoundland could experience bad weather by Saturday afternoon.
Passengers across Canada were being advised to call their airlines and check if their flights were cancelled. About 800 flights have been cancelled at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, as reported by CBC. In the U.S.. more than 3,700 flights were cancelled.
The snowstorm that affected many states in the U.S. before arriving in Canada has left more than 130,000 homes without power mostly in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, according to CNN.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced