Bradley Cooper And David O. Russel Meet With Joe Biden
February 9, 2013 9:52 AM EST
Bradley Cooper and David O. Russell paid a visit to Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday in order to assist with the introduction of a new mental health act to Congress.
The actor and director, who are both up for Academy Awards for "Silver Linings Playbook," which centers on a former teacher struggling with bipolar disorder.
The two met with Biden to discuss the Excellence in Mental Health Act, which will make mental health treatment more accessible.
According to Politico, Biden's office tweeted a photo of the three meeting at the White House.
The bill is part of the Obama administrations's reevaluation of mental health polices following the Sandy Hook Massacre.
On December 14, the mentally ill Adam Lanza shot 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The tragedy marks the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history.
Some have argued that if Lanza and other mass shooters had had better mental health treatment, they would have been less likely to carry out the crimes they committed.
Mental illness has become the prime focus of the "Silver Linings" promotional campaign.
In an interview with the Today show earlier this week, Russell spoke candidly about his son Matthew's battle with mood disorders.
"Nothing comes easily to him, and that makes your heart bigger," he said of his son. "It was a very healing thing to have written the movie ... I learned a great deal about resilience and about the relationship between the father and the son."
Last week, Cooper visited the Center For American Progress to advocate improving services for those suffering from mental illnesses.
“I think that’s the real key to this illness—that it's something we can all relate to," Cooper said. "It’s hard to confront yourself, it’s hard to confront actions that occur that we may not want to deal with. But if we have a dialogue about it, then we can understand it and make change for ourselves."
As Oscar hopefuls make the promotional rounds in a last minute bid for the coveted gold statue, it's difficult to tell whether or not these appearances and emotional interviews are genuine or part of the "Silver Linings" awards campaign.
While the odds aren't exactly in Cooper of Russell's favor, DeNiro--who last won an Oscar in 1980--has a shot at winning.
It was reported on Friday that Cooper is set to portray Chris Kyle in the upcoming film adaptation of "American Sniper." According to USA Today, the project, which was first announced last May, is being fast-tracked in the wake of Kyle's death.
The ex-Navy SEAL was shot and killed by post-traumatic stress victim Eddie Ray Routh at a Texas shooting range on Saturday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage