Will Snowstorm Nemo Hit Mardi Gras? Northeast Braces For Blizzard Forecast, Louisiana Prepares To Party
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 9, 2013 6:11 AM EST
While much of the northeastern region of the United States is expected to spend the weekend shoveling snow, it looks like the floats on Bourbon Street will be able to celebrate Mardi Gras without the help of any plows. Snowstorm Nemo, which forecasters expect to slam New York and New England Friday night and into Saturday, will spare Louisiana.
According to the Pensacola News Journal partygoers down south can expect a warm, sunny weekend with a high temperature near 69 degrees on Friday. The nighttime low will be around 43, practically beach weather compared to New York City’s frigid temperature of 27 at 4:00 a.m. Saturday. Winds are also expected.
New Orleans is expected to stay warm throughout the weekend, with Saturday and Sunday conditions remaining in the mid to high 60s with the potential for rain during the parade.
By that time much of New England might still be digging their way out of their driveway. The region is expected to bear the brunt of snowstorm Nemo on Friday night. Snow accumulation in Boston, MA could range from 24-30” while meteorologists say Hartford, CT will be beneath a layer 16-24” deep. New York City, while shutting down subway construction for the weekend, will be hit with 10-15”.
“We are taking this storm very seriously and you should take this storm very seriously,” New York State Commissioner of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services Jerome Hauer told The New York Times Thursday night. “If you don’t have to go to work tomorrow we suggest that you do not. If you do, we suggest that you plan for an early departure.”
Meanwhile, thousands of miles to the south, the sentiment was quite different. Tens of thousands of revelers prepared for Mardi Gras weekend not just in New Orleans but also in St. Louis, Florida, and all across Texas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup