Real Madrid Transfer Rumors: Tottenham Spur Gareth Bale Bernabeu’s Next Big Target? Andre Villas-Boas Called Bale Next Cristiano Ronaldo?
February 9, 2013 6:04 AM EST
The January transfer market came and went for Real Madrid with no major moves, but the Bernabeu is reportedly looking ahead to this summer.
For the second time, Tottenham Hotspur Gareth Bale is a rumored target for Madrid, according to a report by The Guardian.
The report said manager Andre Villas-Boas stipulated Tottenham must qualify for the Champions League if they hope to keep Welsh born midfielder.
Villas-Boas, a long admirer of fellow countryman Cristiano Ronaldo, spoke highly of Bale as well after Wales' 2-1 friendly victory over Austria Wednesday.
"Both of them are extremely technical players and extremely powerful and pacy," Villas-Boas said. "Obviously it is funny to see how in some ways both players compared growing up as a striker and move to wingers.
"Gareth started at left-back and moved to a winger position, now going to a more advanced role, and Ronaldo also able to play that rule up front.”
Since taking up residence at White Hart Lane in 2007, Bale has netted 32 goals in 134 appearances, and leads the Hotspur in Premier League goals this season with 11.
Back in December, Madrid reportedly valued Bale at £60 million. Before that, The Sun reported Los Blancos would have offered £50 million and defender Fabio Coentrao for Bale’s services.
Those offers are well above Bale’s supposed market value of £37 million. Tottenham has Bale under contract until 2016.
The Hotspur are currently fourth in the Premier League, one point behind Chelsea for an automatic berth in Champions League. Tottenham’s success to close the season could decide their next move with Bale.
Los Blancos are seemingly out of contention for the La Liga title, sitting 16 points behind Barcelona, but the addition of Bale next season could bolster their chances of knocking off the Catalans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28