Real Madrid Transfer Rumors: Tottenham Spur Gareth Bale Bernabeu’s Next Big Target? Andre Villas-Boas Called Bale Next Cristiano Ronaldo?
February 9, 2013 6:04 AM EST
The January transfer market came and went for Real Madrid with no major moves, but the Bernabeu is reportedly looking ahead to this summer.
For the second time, Tottenham Hotspur Gareth Bale is a rumored target for Madrid, according to a report by The Guardian.
The report said manager Andre Villas-Boas stipulated Tottenham must qualify for the Champions League if they hope to keep Welsh born midfielder.
Villas-Boas, a long admirer of fellow countryman Cristiano Ronaldo, spoke highly of Bale as well after Wales' 2-1 friendly victory over Austria Wednesday.
"Both of them are extremely technical players and extremely powerful and pacy," Villas-Boas said. "Obviously it is funny to see how in some ways both players compared growing up as a striker and move to wingers.
"Gareth started at left-back and moved to a winger position, now going to a more advanced role, and Ronaldo also able to play that rule up front.”
Since taking up residence at White Hart Lane in 2007, Bale has netted 32 goals in 134 appearances, and leads the Hotspur in Premier League goals this season with 11.
Back in December, Madrid reportedly valued Bale at £60 million. Before that, The Sun reported Los Blancos would have offered £50 million and defender Fabio Coentrao for Bale’s services.
Those offers are well above Bale’s supposed market value of £37 million. Tottenham has Bale under contract until 2016.
The Hotspur are currently fourth in the Premier League, one point behind Chelsea for an automatic berth in Champions League. Tottenham’s success to close the season could decide their next move with Bale.
Los Blancos are seemingly out of contention for the La Liga title, sitting 16 points behind Barcelona, but the addition of Bale next season could bolster their chances of knocking off the Catalans.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports