Xbox 720 Rumors: Next Microsoft Console May Have Siri-Like Voice Control, Release At E3 2013
By Ian Kar | February 9, 2013 5:34 AM EST
Microsoft's rumored next-gen console, allegedly named the Xbox 720, may feature Siri-like speech recognition software.
The Verge spoke to sources close to the Xbox 720's development, who said the next-gen Xbox console may come with a plethora of speech-related features, including "wake on voice" -- which would activate the system upon hearing the user say "Wake up, Xbox" -- as well as the ability to interpret natural language, and turn your speech to text. Users may also be able to automatically pick up video files where they left off by simply asking the console to play a film, and with the speech-to-text feature, users can send each other voice messages directly over the Xbox.
According to the Verge, the natural language detection process may be similar to Apple's Siri. Siri was introduced in 2011 as an exclusive feature of the iPhone 4S and has since been added to other iOS devices, including the iPhone 5, the iPad Mini, the iPad 4 and 3, and new iPod touches. Siri mainly serves as an intelligent personal assistant on your phone, but the technology behind it's ability to understand natural speech patterns made Siri unique at the time. However, the technology has since been replicated, most notably by Google with its Google Search app, a similar service that some say works better than Siri.
However, all voice-related technologies from Apple, Google and don't work without an Internet connection. If Microsoft plans on adding a Siri-like service for the Xbox 720, they might need to implement an "always-on" Internet requirement so the service can function at all times; according to recent reports, it looks like Microsoft will indeed implement this "always-on" feature. Xbox 720 will indeed feature this "always-on" connection. Most reports point to the Xbox 720 featuring this Siri-esque service on the next-gen console, but Microsoft has yet to confirm anything about the Xbox 360 successor, including its very existence; Sony's PlayStation 4 is said to include a similar feature as well.
Microsoft has also been experimenting with an updated Kinect sensor that has the ability to determine the number of people in the room and then suggest multiplayer games and game modes.
As for the release date for the Xbox 720, Microsoft may reveal more details about the rumored device at E3 2013, the computer and video game trade show. Comparatively, Sony may unveil their PS4 as soon as Feb. 20, according to reports. The Verge did write that its sources said that Microsoft may hold a separate event, similar to Sony's, before E3 to unveil their newest console.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Sony Xperia Z3 Launched In Japan Has 32 GB Storage Compared To 16 GB International Model
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports