Ellen Page Set To Make Directorial Debut With 'Miss Stevens'
February 9, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Ellen Page is joining the list of actors turned directors. The 25-year-old is set to make her filmmaking debut with the film "Miss Stevens."
According to Indie Wire, Anna Faris will star in the comedy, which centers on a teacher (Faris) who oversees a high school drama competition. Written by Julia Hart, the film is already being compared to last year's sleeper hit "Pitch Perfect."
Page rose to fame after starring in the unsettling drama "Hard Candy" and the teen pregnancy comedy "Juno," for which she earned an Academy Award nomination.
When it comes to directing, there's no denying that the Canadian-born star has learned from the masters.
The actress has worked with some of the best filmmakers in Hollywood. She collaborated with visionaries like Christopher Nolan for the genre-bending hit "Inception" and with Woody Allen for the star-studded comedy "To Rome With Love."
Her new pursuit doesn't mean that she's leaving acting behind. The star is slated to appear in a strong of upcoming films including the indie "Touchy Feely,'" opposite Rosemarie DeWitt, the drama "Freeheld," and "The East," starring Alexander Skarsgard and Patricia Clarkson. The star will also be featured in the highly anticipated "X-Men: Days of Future Past," alongside Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence.
For Faris, the film could mark a much needed career revival. Since her breakout role in the "Scary Movie" franchise, the actress has fared well in indie's like "Lost in Translation" but has appeared in a series of flops like "Take Me Home Tonight," "What's Your Number," and this year's abysmal "Movie 43."
Later this year, the actress will star in the "I Give It a Year" and lend her voice to the animated "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2."
Page joins several actors who have recently turned to directing. Her "Inception" co-star Joseph Gordon-Levitt rmade his directorial debut at the Sundance Film Festival with the raunchy drama "Don Jon's Addiction."
It was announced on Thursday that "Bridesmaids" funnywoman Melissa McCarthy is preparing to direct and star in the road trip comedy "Tammy."
Drew Barrymore turned to directing in 2009 when she released the comedy "Whip It!," which Page starred in.
News of Page's new career path comes in the wake of her recent court battle against a stalker.
Last month TMZ reported that a judge issued a restraining order against Joshua Michael Myers, who threatened to kill the actress in a series of Twitter posts last summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions