Ellen Page Set To Make Directorial Debut With 'Miss Stevens'
February 9, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Ellen Page is joining the list of actors turned directors. The 25-year-old is set to make her filmmaking debut with the film "Miss Stevens."
According to Indie Wire, Anna Faris will star in the comedy, which centers on a teacher (Faris) who oversees a high school drama competition. Written by Julia Hart, the film is already being compared to last year's sleeper hit "Pitch Perfect."
Page rose to fame after starring in the unsettling drama "Hard Candy" and the teen pregnancy comedy "Juno," for which she earned an Academy Award nomination.
When it comes to directing, there's no denying that the Canadian-born star has learned from the masters.
The actress has worked with some of the best filmmakers in Hollywood. She collaborated with visionaries like Christopher Nolan for the genre-bending hit "Inception" and with Woody Allen for the star-studded comedy "To Rome With Love."
Her new pursuit doesn't mean that she's leaving acting behind. The star is slated to appear in a strong of upcoming films including the indie "Touchy Feely,'" opposite Rosemarie DeWitt, the drama "Freeheld," and "The East," starring Alexander Skarsgard and Patricia Clarkson. The star will also be featured in the highly anticipated "X-Men: Days of Future Past," alongside Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence.
For Faris, the film could mark a much needed career revival. Since her breakout role in the "Scary Movie" franchise, the actress has fared well in indie's like "Lost in Translation" but has appeared in a series of flops like "Take Me Home Tonight," "What's Your Number," and this year's abysmal "Movie 43."
Later this year, the actress will star in the "I Give It a Year" and lend her voice to the animated "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2."
Page joins several actors who have recently turned to directing. Her "Inception" co-star Joseph Gordon-Levitt rmade his directorial debut at the Sundance Film Festival with the raunchy drama "Don Jon's Addiction."
It was announced on Thursday that "Bridesmaids" funnywoman Melissa McCarthy is preparing to direct and star in the road trip comedy "Tammy."
Drew Barrymore turned to directing in 2009 when she released the comedy "Whip It!," which Page starred in.
News of Page's new career path comes in the wake of her recent court battle against a stalker.
Last month TMZ reported that a judge issued a restraining order against Joshua Michael Myers, who threatened to kill the actress in a series of Twitter posts last summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists