Ellen Page Set To Make Directorial Debut With 'Miss Stevens'
February 9, 2013 5:00 AM EST
Ellen Page is joining the list of actors turned directors. The 25-year-old is set to make her filmmaking debut with the film "Miss Stevens."
According to Indie Wire, Anna Faris will star in the comedy, which centers on a teacher (Faris) who oversees a high school drama competition. Written by Julia Hart, the film is already being compared to last year's sleeper hit "Pitch Perfect."
Page rose to fame after starring in the unsettling drama "Hard Candy" and the teen pregnancy comedy "Juno," for which she earned an Academy Award nomination.
When it comes to directing, there's no denying that the Canadian-born star has learned from the masters.
The actress has worked with some of the best filmmakers in Hollywood. She collaborated with visionaries like Christopher Nolan for the genre-bending hit "Inception" and with Woody Allen for the star-studded comedy "To Rome With Love."
Her new pursuit doesn't mean that she's leaving acting behind. The star is slated to appear in a strong of upcoming films including the indie "Touchy Feely,'" opposite Rosemarie DeWitt, the drama "Freeheld," and "The East," starring Alexander Skarsgard and Patricia Clarkson. The star will also be featured in the highly anticipated "X-Men: Days of Future Past," alongside Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence.
For Faris, the film could mark a much needed career revival. Since her breakout role in the "Scary Movie" franchise, the actress has fared well in indie's like "Lost in Translation" but has appeared in a series of flops like "Take Me Home Tonight," "What's Your Number," and this year's abysmal "Movie 43."
Later this year, the actress will star in the "I Give It a Year" and lend her voice to the animated "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2."
Page joins several actors who have recently turned to directing. Her "Inception" co-star Joseph Gordon-Levitt rmade his directorial debut at the Sundance Film Festival with the raunchy drama "Don Jon's Addiction."
It was announced on Thursday that "Bridesmaids" funnywoman Melissa McCarthy is preparing to direct and star in the road trip comedy "Tammy."
Drew Barrymore turned to directing in 2009 when she released the comedy "Whip It!," which Page starred in.
News of Page's new career path comes in the wake of her recent court battle against a stalker.
Last month TMZ reported that a judge issued a restraining order against Joshua Michael Myers, who threatened to kill the actress in a series of Twitter posts last summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Trailer Reveals Sith Plus John Boyega And Daisy Ridley’s Characters And Much More—Reports
- Cameron Diaz, Benji Madden Engaged – Reports
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Winner: Eliminated Contestants Predict Who Could Win It All
- Prince Harry Enjoys Three-Day Visit To Oman, Picks Up Present For Prince George And Performs With Traditional Sword Dancers
- Channing Tatum-Jenna Dewan Tatum Split: Channing Disregards Amber Heard Link-Up Reports, Says Wife 'Puts Everything in Perspective'
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports