Sarai Sierra Istanbul Murder: NY Photographer Had Sex in Toilet Before Being Bludgeoned to Death
By Hannah Osborne | February 9, 2013 3:19 AM EST
The New York photographer murdered in Istanbul had sex in a restaurant toilet with a secret lover before being bludgeoned to death.
Mother-of-two Sarai Sierra, 33, met with her lover the day before she went missing and had sex with him in the bathroom of a local bar, local media said.
The lawyer of the man, who has only been identified as Tarkan K, says he began corresponding with Sierra around four months before they met.
Ozkan Polat said Tarkan met Sierra online and that she had contacted him saying she was visiting Turkey and wanted to meet. Tarkan denies any wrongdoing.
Sierra's body was found last Saturday, 12 days after she failed to catch her return flight from Turkey.
She had gone on holiday alone after a friend dropped out of the trip at the last minute.
According to reports, Sierra was not wearing any trousers when she was found - they were discovered torn nearby. However, investigators said there was no sign of sexual assault.
Sierra was last seen on CCTV wearing a coat and carrying a handbag - neither were with her body, which was found near the remnants of the city's ancient walls.
Tried to fight off attacker
Turkish authorities determined that Sierra died from a blow to the head. Earlier this week, police dogs were scouring the area where she was found.
The Milliyet newspaper said police are examining forensic evidence from Sierra's fingernails, hair and a blanket found near her body.
It said nail scrapings suggest she may have tried to fight off an attacker. Prosecutors got a court order on Monday to take blood and DNA samples from 21 people being questioned about her death.
Sierra's body was flown back to New York yesterday and her funeral is due to take place next week.
She will be buried in the church where she met and married her husband Steven Sierra.
He was planning to tell their two children, aged nine and 11, about their mother's death when he returned from Istanbul.
Sierra had gone to Istanbul to indulge her photography hobby and had made side trips to Amsterdam, Netherlands and Munich.
She left on 7 January and had been in regular contact with her family throughout the trip.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June