McDonald's January sales drop more than anticipated
February 9, 2013 12:35 AM EST
McDonald's warned last month that same-restaurant sales would be down. Analysts polled by Consensus Metrix had expected a decline of 1.1 percent.
Shares of McDonald's, which had fallen earlier in the week, slipped 22 cents to $94.41 in premarket trading.
McDonald's expected its sales and profit growth to be under pressure in the near term, as diners continue to spend cautiously due to lackluster economic growth in most major markets. At the same time, the leading fast food chain is also bumping up against strong results from a year ago, including a 6.7 percent gain in comparable sales in January 2012.
Comparable sales in Europe, McDonald's top market, declined 2.1 percent last month, with weakness in countries such as Germany and France.
The United States, a close No. 2, posted a 0.9 percent gain, helped in part by the addition of the Grilled Onion Cheddar burger to the company's Dollar Menu.
Analysts expected Europe to be up almost 0.1 percent. They expected the United States to be down 0.3 percent and APMEA to be down 5.8 percent.
McDonald's comparable sales track sales at all company-owned and franchised restaurants open for at least 13 months.
(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles and Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How