McDonald's January sales drop more than anticipated
February 9, 2013 12:35 AM EST
McDonald's warned last month that same-restaurant sales would be down. Analysts polled by Consensus Metrix had expected a decline of 1.1 percent.
Shares of McDonald's, which had fallen earlier in the week, slipped 22 cents to $94.41 in premarket trading.
McDonald's expected its sales and profit growth to be under pressure in the near term, as diners continue to spend cautiously due to lackluster economic growth in most major markets. At the same time, the leading fast food chain is also bumping up against strong results from a year ago, including a 6.7 percent gain in comparable sales in January 2012.
Comparable sales in Europe, McDonald's top market, declined 2.1 percent last month, with weakness in countries such as Germany and France.
The United States, a close No. 2, posted a 0.9 percent gain, helped in part by the addition of the Grilled Onion Cheddar burger to the company's Dollar Menu.
Analysts expected Europe to be up almost 0.1 percent. They expected the United States to be down 0.3 percent and APMEA to be down 5.8 percent.
McDonald's comparable sales track sales at all company-owned and franchised restaurants open for at least 13 months.
(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles and Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date