McDonald's January sales drop more than anticipated
February 9, 2013 12:35 AM EST
McDonald's warned last month that same-restaurant sales would be down. Analysts polled by Consensus Metrix had expected a decline of 1.1 percent.
Shares of McDonald's, which had fallen earlier in the week, slipped 22 cents to $94.41 in premarket trading.
McDonald's expected its sales and profit growth to be under pressure in the near term, as diners continue to spend cautiously due to lackluster economic growth in most major markets. At the same time, the leading fast food chain is also bumping up against strong results from a year ago, including a 6.7 percent gain in comparable sales in January 2012.
Comparable sales in Europe, McDonald's top market, declined 2.1 percent last month, with weakness in countries such as Germany and France.
The United States, a close No. 2, posted a 0.9 percent gain, helped in part by the addition of the Grilled Onion Cheddar burger to the company's Dollar Menu.
Analysts expected Europe to be up almost 0.1 percent. They expected the United States to be down 0.3 percent and APMEA to be down 5.8 percent.
McDonald's comparable sales track sales at all company-owned and franchised restaurants open for at least 13 months.
(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles and Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales