McDonald's January sales drop more than anticipated
February 9, 2013 12:35 AM EST
McDonald's warned last month that same-restaurant sales would be down. Analysts polled by Consensus Metrix had expected a decline of 1.1 percent.
Shares of McDonald's, which had fallen earlier in the week, slipped 22 cents to $94.41 in premarket trading.
McDonald's expected its sales and profit growth to be under pressure in the near term, as diners continue to spend cautiously due to lackluster economic growth in most major markets. At the same time, the leading fast food chain is also bumping up against strong results from a year ago, including a 6.7 percent gain in comparable sales in January 2012.
Comparable sales in Europe, McDonald's top market, declined 2.1 percent last month, with weakness in countries such as Germany and France.
The United States, a close No. 2, posted a 0.9 percent gain, helped in part by the addition of the Grilled Onion Cheddar burger to the company's Dollar Menu.
Analysts expected Europe to be up almost 0.1 percent. They expected the United States to be down 0.3 percent and APMEA to be down 5.8 percent.
McDonald's comparable sales track sales at all company-owned and franchised restaurants open for at least 13 months.
(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles and Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Chizu Nomiyama)
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]