Blizzard Nemo to Cripple New York and US East Coast
By Hannah Osborne | February 9, 2013 12:04 AM EST
A "crippling" blizzard is set to hit the east coast of the US just three months after Superstorm Sandy devastated the region.
Winter storm Nemo is expected to dump 3ft of snow over the next few days and residents and workers are being told to prepare for coastal flooding, damaging winds and "impossible" travel conditions, the Weather Channel said.
According to FlightAware.com, over 2,500 flights have been cancelled and more than 500 Saturday flights have been taken off schedules.
American Airlines was giving customers the option of changing their flights if they were due to travel to the storm-hit areas.
Blizzard warnings were in effect in Portland, Maine, Boston, Hartford, Providence and New York City.
The snow will get heavier throughout Friday and will continue through the weekend. It is expected to taper off in Boston on Saturday evening.
National Weather Service meteorologist Alan Dunham said: "Everybody's going to get plastered with snow."
The Weather Channel said: "Meteorologists are warning everyone to get home because heavy, blinding snowfall is likely to make travel impossible once the storm begins.
Stock up on supplies, including medicine
"Blizzard warnings are posted for a massive swathe of cities."
Nemo has the potential to be one of the top ten Boston snowstorms of all time, it added.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) has warned passengers of possible disruptions.
MTA president Tom Prendergast said: "This is a very serious storm, and we should treat it that way."
The Mayor's Office said: "The emergency management, fire, police, sanitation and transportation commissioners will be taking all appropriate and necessary steps to preserve public safety and to render all required and available assistance to protect the security, wellbeing and health of residents.
"New Yorkers are advised to stock up on potential supplies, including medicine."
Bloomberg added: "We hope forecasts are exaggerating the amount of snow, but you never can tell."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists