Lancaster Resists Tuilagi Temptation as Haskell Replaces Morgan For Ireland
By Nick Howson | February 8, 2013 11:51 PM EST
England coach Stuart Lancaster has resisted the temptation to recall Manu Tuilagi to the starting XV for the Six Nations trip to Ireland as Billy Twelvetrees and Brad Barritt retain their respective places at centre.
There is one enforced change from the 38-18 victory over Scotland, with James Haskell coming in to replace Ben Morgan, whose ankle injury could keep him out of the remainder of the Championship.
Tom Wood will move to eight, with Haskell slotting in at six for his first England appearance since the summer tour to South Africa. Tuilagi settles for a place on the bench instead of David Strettle while Thomas Waldrom is the only other change to the matchday squad.
"Ben Morgan's out for a couple of weeks so there's an enforced change there but I thought James Haskell really stepped up when he came on [against Scotland] for 35 minutes," Lancaster said.
"He was our second top tackler, a couple of turn-overs and played one of the most effective games I've seen him play certainly in the last 12 months with me.
"Tough decision there but with Manu having not played for the last four weeks you need some match fitness really and I don't think he'd last the 80 minutes so I think the best way to utilise him is from the bench.
"Secondly I'm probably more importantly the two centre played extremely well against Scotland and they deserve the chance to go again.
"There's always tough decisions," he added. "It's hard on Dylan Hartley not to start, it's hard on Danny Care not to start and the list goes on.
"When you're a coach you obviously weigh up what people have done in the past but also you weight up where they are in their return to fitness and return to match fitness.
"Manu's been out for a month now. It's hard for any player to come in having not played a full 80 minutes at international level for a month and I think we all know as players when we've been out it takes a while."
England team to face Ireland: A Goode, C Ashton, B Barritt, B Twelvetrees, M Brown, O Farrell, B Youngs, J Marler, T Youngs, D Cole, J Launchbury, G Parling, J Haskell, C Robshaw (c), T Wood
Replacements: D Hartley, M Vunipola, D Wilson, C Lawes, T Waldrom, D Care, T Flood, M Tuilagi
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate