Lancaster Resists Tuilagi Temptation as Haskell Replaces Morgan For Ireland
By Nick Howson | February 8, 2013 11:51 PM EST
England coach Stuart Lancaster has resisted the temptation to recall Manu Tuilagi to the starting XV for the Six Nations trip to Ireland as Billy Twelvetrees and Brad Barritt retain their respective places at centre.
There is one enforced change from the 38-18 victory over Scotland, with James Haskell coming in to replace Ben Morgan, whose ankle injury could keep him out of the remainder of the Championship.
Tom Wood will move to eight, with Haskell slotting in at six for his first England appearance since the summer tour to South Africa. Tuilagi settles for a place on the bench instead of David Strettle while Thomas Waldrom is the only other change to the matchday squad.
"Ben Morgan's out for a couple of weeks so there's an enforced change there but I thought James Haskell really stepped up when he came on [against Scotland] for 35 minutes," Lancaster said.
"He was our second top tackler, a couple of turn-overs and played one of the most effective games I've seen him play certainly in the last 12 months with me.
"Tough decision there but with Manu having not played for the last four weeks you need some match fitness really and I don't think he'd last the 80 minutes so I think the best way to utilise him is from the bench.
"Secondly I'm probably more importantly the two centre played extremely well against Scotland and they deserve the chance to go again.
"There's always tough decisions," he added. "It's hard on Dylan Hartley not to start, it's hard on Danny Care not to start and the list goes on.
"When you're a coach you obviously weigh up what people have done in the past but also you weight up where they are in their return to fitness and return to match fitness.
"Manu's been out for a month now. It's hard for any player to come in having not played a full 80 minutes at international level for a month and I think we all know as players when we've been out it takes a while."
England team to face Ireland: A Goode, C Ashton, B Barritt, B Twelvetrees, M Brown, O Farrell, B Youngs, J Marler, T Youngs, D Cole, J Launchbury, G Parling, J Haskell, C Robshaw (c), T Wood
Replacements: D Hartley, M Vunipola, D Wilson, C Lawes, T Waldrom, D Care, T Flood, M Tuilagi
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports