Rolls out Android
4.1.2 OTA Update for Galaxy S3 I9300 [How to Manually Install]
Samsung has kept the Android community busy by releasing a flurry of official Android 4.1.2 firmware builds for its Galaxy S3 I9300 in recent times. Now, XXEMR2 is the latest official firmware to join the Jelly Bean party, which was released just a day ago.
The new official firmware is now available for download as Over-The-Air (OTA) update, as well as over Samsung KIES for S3 users. However, those who missed the twin opportunities can now download and install the same manually using this guide.
Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 Official Firmware Details:
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
Key Features of Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
- Android 4.1.2 - JZO54K
- Multi-View (Multi-WindowsMultitasking, same as in Note II)
- Page Buddy
- New Gallery App (Same as in Note II)
- NotificationPanel (NotificationPanel can now be customized)
- Brightness Slider inNotificationPanel Can Now Be Disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to user's angle of sightings)
- Continues Input in Samsung Keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 Keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
Key Points to Note
- XXEMR2 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only. It will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options or Settings > Applications > Development.
- Verify that the Galaxy S3 is factory unlocked and not locked to a specific carrier.
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the firmware. The device needs to be rooted once again to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root-based apps on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the official firmware. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XXEMR2 Official Firmware
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 I9300XXEMR2 official firmware for Galaxy S3 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 on the phone.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, Press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may be time-consuming (take about five minutes).
Step 6 - Now, choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the 'Phone' button and choose file named 'MODEM'. Ignore if there is no such file.
- Hit the 'CSC' button and choose file named 'CSC'. Ignore if such file is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' button and select the .pit file. Ignore if there such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked ONLY if a .PIT file is chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now, hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is done, the phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 is now updated to Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 official firmware update. Go to Settings > About phone to verify if the firmware installation is successful.
Check out our step-by-step guide to Root Galaxy S3 I9300 on Android 4.1.2 XXEMR2 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: