Facebook’s New Mobile App Will Track Your Every Move
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 8, 2013 10:25 PM EST
The app is scheduled to be released in March and it is designed to track its users (event when the app is closed) and alert users when their friends are nearby. The app would also be a platform for the company to sell ads based on users' location and daily habits, two people with knowledge of the matter reportedly told Bloomberg.
Facebook will not ask the users' permission to share location, as the company's data policy already allows them to use certain location-based data. The Facebook data policy says it can use location-based information "to tell you and your friends about people or events nearby, or offer deals to you that you might be interested in."
"When we get your GPS location, we put it together with other location information we have about you (like your current city). But we only keep it until it is no longer useful to provide you services, like keeping your last GPS coordinates to send you relevant notifications," the Facebook data policy reads.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently highlighted the need of new mobile products.
He said, "A lot of what we had to do last year was simply to improve our mobile development process. The next thing we're going to do is get really good at building new mobile-first experiences."
A couple of mobile applications, including Apple's Find My Friend, continuously tracks locations in an attempt to help the users to find friends or place nearby. But many of them have failed to achieve wide audiences due to privacy concerns. And also the app drains maximum battery due to the continuous use of GPS on smartphones.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy