Manchester City Centre Cordoned off in Bomb Scare
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 9:37 PM EST
Police cordoned off an area in the centre of Manchester after a suspicious package was discovered outside the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel.
Police were called to New York Street at 7.35am this morning (Friday) following reports of a suspicious package found in a car at the centre.
A 100-metre cordon was been put in place and buildings around the area were evacuated.
Bomb disposal experts were at the scene.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion on the package. There were no injuries during the exposion.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed after examining the package no explosive materials were found, only a laptop and cables.
Massive bang just heard in city centre.
— Amy Glendinning (@amyglendinning) February 8, 2013
Supt Neil Bhole, said: "This incident has caused significant disruption this morning but we have to put the safety of the public ahead of inconvenience and disruption and we make no apology for the steps taken.
"We have dealt with this as quickly as possible without jeopardising public safety and everything should now be returning to normal.
"We obviously cannot speculate on the motive for the bag being left where it was but will now be carrying out an investigation to try and trace the individual involved."
Metrolink and bus services going into the centre have now resumed normal service.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation