Manchester City Centre Cordoned off in Bomb Scare
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 9:37 PM EST
Police cordoned off an area in the centre of Manchester after a suspicious package was discovered outside the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel.
Police were called to New York Street at 7.35am this morning (Friday) following reports of a suspicious package found in a car at the centre.
A 100-metre cordon was been put in place and buildings around the area were evacuated.
Bomb disposal experts were at the scene.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion on the package. There were no injuries during the exposion.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed after examining the package no explosive materials were found, only a laptop and cables.
Massive bang just heard in city centre.
— Amy Glendinning (@amyglendinning) February 8, 2013
Supt Neil Bhole, said: "This incident has caused significant disruption this morning but we have to put the safety of the public ahead of inconvenience and disruption and we make no apology for the steps taken.
"We have dealt with this as quickly as possible without jeopardising public safety and everything should now be returning to normal.
"We obviously cannot speculate on the motive for the bag being left where it was but will now be carrying out an investigation to try and trace the individual involved."
Metrolink and bus services going into the centre have now resumed normal service.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4