Manchester City Centre Cordoned off in Bomb Scare
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 9:37 PM EST
Police cordoned off an area in the centre of Manchester after a suspicious package was discovered outside the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel.
Police were called to New York Street at 7.35am this morning (Friday) following reports of a suspicious package found in a car at the centre.
A 100-metre cordon was been put in place and buildings around the area were evacuated.
Bomb disposal experts were at the scene.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal experts carried out a controlled explosion on the package. There were no injuries during the exposion.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed after examining the package no explosive materials were found, only a laptop and cables.
Massive bang just heard in city centre.
— Amy Glendinning (@amyglendinning) February 8, 2013
Supt Neil Bhole, said: "This incident has caused significant disruption this morning but we have to put the safety of the public ahead of inconvenience and disruption and we make no apology for the steps taken.
"We have dealt with this as quickly as possible without jeopardising public safety and everything should now be returning to normal.
"We obviously cannot speculate on the motive for the bag being left where it was but will now be carrying out an investigation to try and trace the individual involved."
Metrolink and bus services going into the centre have now resumed normal service.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'