Salford: Two Dead After Stolen Car Crashes and Burst into Flames
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 8:47 PM EST
Two people have been killed after a stolen car crashed into eight parked vehicles and burst into flames in Salford, Greater Manchester.
Police say they were giving chase to the stolen red Audi following reports of an aggravated burglary at a house in Farnworth.
The Audi was stolen during the burglary, and was being pursued after it was seen by a passing police car.
The car then collided with a number of parked cars on Leigh Road, Boothstown, causing some of the vehicles to catch fire. Two people were killed as the Audi burst into flames on impact.
Police say they were pursuing the stolen vehicle for a long time, but the time of the collision it was completely out of sight.
Five other vehicles caught fire during the crash, causing damage to a small number of terraced houses close to the incident. Four engines and approximately 25 firefighters were called to the scene to help deal with the blaze.
There are no reports of any other casualties.
Assistant Chief Constable Zoe Sheard said: "We are still in the very early stages of our inquiries to establish exactly what happened, so it is important we do not speculate.
"Two people have died as a result of this collision and our focus is now on identifying who those people are and informing their families.
"At this early stage of the inquiry, what we know is that the police officers responded to a report of a stolen car which passed them on the East Lancashire Road. The stolen Audi was lost from sight by the time the officers had turned round to give pursuit, and while they were still actively searching for the car at the time of the collision the Audi itself was completely out of sight.
"I want to assure everyone that a thorough investigation will take place into the circumstances surrounding the incident, and we will continue to keep the community informed with any developments."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal