Salford: Two Dead After Stolen Car Crashes and Burst into Flames
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 8:47 PM EST
Two people have been killed after a stolen car crashed into eight parked vehicles and burst into flames in Salford, Greater Manchester.
Police say they were giving chase to the stolen red Audi following reports of an aggravated burglary at a house in Farnworth.
The Audi was stolen during the burglary, and was being pursued after it was seen by a passing police car.
The car then collided with a number of parked cars on Leigh Road, Boothstown, causing some of the vehicles to catch fire. Two people were killed as the Audi burst into flames on impact.
Police say they were pursuing the stolen vehicle for a long time, but the time of the collision it was completely out of sight.
Five other vehicles caught fire during the crash, causing damage to a small number of terraced houses close to the incident. Four engines and approximately 25 firefighters were called to the scene to help deal with the blaze.
There are no reports of any other casualties.
Assistant Chief Constable Zoe Sheard said: "We are still in the very early stages of our inquiries to establish exactly what happened, so it is important we do not speculate.
"Two people have died as a result of this collision and our focus is now on identifying who those people are and informing their families.
"At this early stage of the inquiry, what we know is that the police officers responded to a report of a stolen car which passed them on the East Lancashire Road. The stolen Audi was lost from sight by the time the officers had turned round to give pursuit, and while they were still actively searching for the car at the time of the collision the Audi itself was completely out of sight.
"I want to assure everyone that a thorough investigation will take place into the circumstances surrounding the incident, and we will continue to keep the community informed with any developments."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics