Salford: Two Dead After Stolen Car Crashes and Burst into Flames
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 8:47 PM EST
Two people have been killed after a stolen car crashed into eight parked vehicles and burst into flames in Salford, Greater Manchester.
Police say they were giving chase to the stolen red Audi following reports of an aggravated burglary at a house in Farnworth.
The Audi was stolen during the burglary, and was being pursued after it was seen by a passing police car.
The car then collided with a number of parked cars on Leigh Road, Boothstown, causing some of the vehicles to catch fire. Two people were killed as the Audi burst into flames on impact.
Police say they were pursuing the stolen vehicle for a long time, but the time of the collision it was completely out of sight.
Five other vehicles caught fire during the crash, causing damage to a small number of terraced houses close to the incident. Four engines and approximately 25 firefighters were called to the scene to help deal with the blaze.
There are no reports of any other casualties.
Assistant Chief Constable Zoe Sheard said: "We are still in the very early stages of our inquiries to establish exactly what happened, so it is important we do not speculate.
"Two people have died as a result of this collision and our focus is now on identifying who those people are and informing their families.
"At this early stage of the inquiry, what we know is that the police officers responded to a report of a stolen car which passed them on the East Lancashire Road. The stolen Audi was lost from sight by the time the officers had turned round to give pursuit, and while they were still actively searching for the car at the time of the collision the Audi itself was completely out of sight.
"I want to assure everyone that a thorough investigation will take place into the circumstances surrounding the incident, and we will continue to keep the community informed with any developments."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged