Salford: Two Dead After Stolen Car Crashes and Burst into Flames
By Ewan Palmer | February 8, 2013 8:47 PM EST
Two people have been killed after a stolen car crashed into eight parked vehicles and burst into flames in Salford, Greater Manchester.
Police say they were giving chase to the stolen red Audi following reports of an aggravated burglary at a house in Farnworth.
The Audi was stolen during the burglary, and was being pursued after it was seen by a passing police car.
The car then collided with a number of parked cars on Leigh Road, Boothstown, causing some of the vehicles to catch fire. Two people were killed as the Audi burst into flames on impact.
Police say they were pursuing the stolen vehicle for a long time, but the time of the collision it was completely out of sight.
Five other vehicles caught fire during the crash, causing damage to a small number of terraced houses close to the incident. Four engines and approximately 25 firefighters were called to the scene to help deal with the blaze.
There are no reports of any other casualties.
Assistant Chief Constable Zoe Sheard said: "We are still in the very early stages of our inquiries to establish exactly what happened, so it is important we do not speculate.
"Two people have died as a result of this collision and our focus is now on identifying who those people are and informing their families.
"At this early stage of the inquiry, what we know is that the police officers responded to a report of a stolen car which passed them on the East Lancashire Road. The stolen Audi was lost from sight by the time the officers had turned round to give pursuit, and while they were still actively searching for the car at the time of the collision the Audi itself was completely out of sight.
"I want to assure everyone that a thorough investigation will take place into the circumstances surrounding the incident, and we will continue to keep the community informed with any developments."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James