Asteroid Will Make Close Earth Flyby Feb 15, NASA Says
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 8, 2013 8:42 PM EST
An asteroid of about half the size of a football ground will pass by about 27,700 kilometers away from the surface of the Earth Feb 15, according to NASA.
The rock will pass at an incredible speed of 7.82 kilometers per second when it approaches nearest to the Earth's surface around 2:24 p.m. ET.
The huge rock that has been named as Asteroid 2012 DA14, at that time, will zoom through so close to the Earth that it will be in an area closer than the geosynchronous orbit, the place where man-made satellites are present.
The 130,000-tonne asteroid with as diameter of 25 meter would be passing closer than any other object that has ever been predicted to come before, the CBC has reported.
The good news is that it will have no impact on Earth and there is no chance of the asteroid's collision with the planet.
"This asteroid seems to be passing in the sweet spot between the GPS satellites and weather and communications satellites," Don Yeomans, the head of NASA's asteroid-tracking program, told reporters in a news conference, "It's extremely unlikely that any of these will be impacted. I don't anticipate any problems."
Yeomans added that an object of this size can come so close to Earth only once in every 40 years and will possibly hit the Earth's surface once in every 1,200 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?