Asteroid Will Make Close Earth Flyby Feb 15, NASA Says
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 8, 2013 8:42 PM EST
An asteroid of about half the size of a football ground will pass by about 27,700 kilometers away from the surface of the Earth Feb 15, according to NASA.
The rock will pass at an incredible speed of 7.82 kilometers per second when it approaches nearest to the Earth's surface around 2:24 p.m. ET.
The huge rock that has been named as Asteroid 2012 DA14, at that time, will zoom through so close to the Earth that it will be in an area closer than the geosynchronous orbit, the place where man-made satellites are present.
The 130,000-tonne asteroid with as diameter of 25 meter would be passing closer than any other object that has ever been predicted to come before, the CBC has reported.
The good news is that it will have no impact on Earth and there is no chance of the asteroid's collision with the planet.
"This asteroid seems to be passing in the sweet spot between the GPS satellites and weather and communications satellites," Don Yeomans, the head of NASA's asteroid-tracking program, told reporters in a news conference, "It's extremely unlikely that any of these will be impacted. I don't anticipate any problems."
Yeomans added that an object of this size can come so close to Earth only once in every 40 years and will possibly hit the Earth's surface once in every 1,200 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery