Asteroid Will Make Close Earth Flyby Feb 15, NASA Says
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 8, 2013 8:42 PM EST
An asteroid of about half the size of a football ground will pass by about 27,700 kilometers away from the surface of the Earth Feb 15, according to NASA.
The rock will pass at an incredible speed of 7.82 kilometers per second when it approaches nearest to the Earth's surface around 2:24 p.m. ET.
The huge rock that has been named as Asteroid 2012 DA14, at that time, will zoom through so close to the Earth that it will be in an area closer than the geosynchronous orbit, the place where man-made satellites are present.
The 130,000-tonne asteroid with as diameter of 25 meter would be passing closer than any other object that has ever been predicted to come before, the CBC has reported.
The good news is that it will have no impact on Earth and there is no chance of the asteroid's collision with the planet.
"This asteroid seems to be passing in the sweet spot between the GPS satellites and weather and communications satellites," Don Yeomans, the head of NASA's asteroid-tracking program, told reporters in a news conference, "It's extremely unlikely that any of these will be impacted. I don't anticipate any problems."
Yeomans added that an object of this size can come so close to Earth only once in every 40 years and will possibly hit the Earth's surface once in every 1,200 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes