Asteroid Will Make Close Earth Flyby Feb 15, NASA Says
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 8, 2013 8:42 PM EST
An asteroid of about half the size of a football ground will pass by about 27,700 kilometers away from the surface of the Earth Feb 15, according to NASA.
The rock will pass at an incredible speed of 7.82 kilometers per second when it approaches nearest to the Earth's surface around 2:24 p.m. ET.
The huge rock that has been named as Asteroid 2012 DA14, at that time, will zoom through so close to the Earth that it will be in an area closer than the geosynchronous orbit, the place where man-made satellites are present.
The 130,000-tonne asteroid with as diameter of 25 meter would be passing closer than any other object that has ever been predicted to come before, the CBC has reported.
The good news is that it will have no impact on Earth and there is no chance of the asteroid's collision with the planet.
"This asteroid seems to be passing in the sweet spot between the GPS satellites and weather and communications satellites," Don Yeomans, the head of NASA's asteroid-tracking program, told reporters in a news conference, "It's extremely unlikely that any of these will be impacted. I don't anticipate any problems."
Yeomans added that an object of this size can come so close to Earth only once in every 40 years and will possibly hit the Earth's surface once in every 1,200 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Japan’s Robotic Industry Is On A Rebound
- Sports Drinks Myths: The Truth About Sports Drinks
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James