Asteroid Will Make Close Earth Flyby Feb 15, NASA Says
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 8, 2013 8:42 PM EST
An asteroid of about half the size of a football ground will pass by about 27,700 kilometers away from the surface of the Earth Feb 15, according to NASA.
The rock will pass at an incredible speed of 7.82 kilometers per second when it approaches nearest to the Earth's surface around 2:24 p.m. ET.
The huge rock that has been named as Asteroid 2012 DA14, at that time, will zoom through so close to the Earth that it will be in an area closer than the geosynchronous orbit, the place where man-made satellites are present.
The 130,000-tonne asteroid with as diameter of 25 meter would be passing closer than any other object that has ever been predicted to come before, the CBC has reported.
The good news is that it will have no impact on Earth and there is no chance of the asteroid's collision with the planet.
"This asteroid seems to be passing in the sweet spot between the GPS satellites and weather and communications satellites," Don Yeomans, the head of NASA's asteroid-tracking program, told reporters in a news conference, "It's extremely unlikely that any of these will be impacted. I don't anticipate any problems."
Yeomans added that an object of this size can come so close to Earth only once in every 40 years and will possibly hit the Earth's surface once in every 1,200 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- Rapid Rise in Flu; Hospitals in New Zealand Struggle
- Half a Million Years of Life Lost to Opioid Abuse in U.S.
- 12 Year Old Girl Grows a New Ear in Her Arm After Losing it to a Raccoon
- British Couples Parents Travel to the U.S. for Baby Girls
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown