Papua New Guinea: Woman Branded Witch Tortured and Burnt Alive by Mob
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 8, 2013 8:38 PM EST
A woman in rural Papua New Guinea, labelled as a witch, was branded with a hot rod and burnt alive even as a crowd, including children, and police officials watched in horror.
Kepari Leniata, 20, was accused of using sorcery to kill a six-year-old boy in the provincial capital of Mount Hagen.
A fifty-strong mob stripped the woman and then tortured her and set her ablaze.
Reports suggest that the police were reduced to mere spectators because of mob fury. Even fire brigade personnel who rushed to rescue the woman were driven away.
Grotesque pictures of the incident have been splashed across local dailies.
Police Commissioner Tom Kulunga described the mob attack as "shocking and devilish" and added: "We are in the 21st century and this is totally unacceptable."
Prime Minister Pete O'Neil led the chorus of condemnation of the incident. He called the attack "reprehensible" and said that the "weak" are targeted for alleged sorcery though they are innocent.
Police investigations have not made much headway prompting higher authorities to express dismay. A separate probe is also on into the police inaction.
"He [Deputy Police Commissioner Simon Kauba] was very, very disappointed that there's been no arrest made as yet. The incident happened in broad daylight in front of hundreds of eyewitnesses and yet we haven't picked up any suspects yet," said the national police spokesperson Dominic Kakas, according to the Associated Press.
The "prime suspect" in the incident appears to be the victim's husband who is believed to have fled the province.
Papua New Guinea, which has a population of about seven million people, is one of the most culturally diverse nations in the world. More than 85 percent of the population live in rural areas.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions