Christopher Dorner Rampage: Thousands Applaud ex-LAPD Cop's War on 'Corrupt Police'
By Hannah Osborne | February 8, 2013 8:36 PM EST
The former LAPD police officer who went on a killing spree and vowed to bring "warfare" to the police department has received a torrent of support on Facebook.
Christopher Dorner is believed to have killed three people - a police officer and a couple - after going on a rampage around California.
Dorner, 33, began his killing spree after writing a manifesto online vowing to attack on and off-duty police officers in Los Angeles.
He was fired from the police department in 2008 for making false statements, having alleged that his field training officer sergeant Teresa Evens had kicked Christopher Gettler, a schizophrenic suspect with severe dementia.
Gettler's father, Richard, gave a testimony supporting Dorner's claim but the police officer was discharged anyway.
Dorner is alleged to have killed a policeman and injured another in their patrol car on Thursday morning.
He is also thought to have killed Monica Quan and her fiancé Keith Lawrence at their home on Sunday night. Quan, 28, is the daughter of a former LAPD captain.
Police say the former US Navy reservist, who earned a rifle marksman ribbon and pistol expert medal, has implicated himself in a 14-page manifesto, in which he threatens a number of people including LAPD employees.
In the manhunt for Dorner police shot at and injured two innocent women who were in a pickup truck that matched the description of the vehicle the suspect was driving.
They also mistakenly shot at another vehicle that looked like the one Dorner was driving a few minutes later, but the driver was not hurt.
Since he began his rampage, several Facebook pages have been set up supporting Dorner and his actions.
As well as numerous "Christopher Jordan Dorner" pages, which say the suspect is trying to stop police corruption, there are also many groups supporting him outright.
The groups include We Stand With Christopher Dorner, I Support Christopher Jordan Dorner, LAPD Cop Killer Christopher Dorner is a Hero, Christopher Jordan Dorner Is a Freedom Fighter, Christopher Dorner Appreciation Society and Support Christopher Dorner.
All assert that Dorner was wrongfully fired from the police force and that his actions are designed to expose corruption.
Supporters have also launched a White House petition to exonerate Dorner and "tell the country what conspired and led him to his actions".
However, another page, just entitled "Christopher Dorner", condemned the groups as "sick", writing: "It is amazing to see all the other pages on Facebook supporting Christopher Dorner and commending what he did. They are sick, plain and simple."
In his manifesto, Dorner wrote: "Unfortunately, I will not be alive to see my name cleared. That's what this is about, my name. A man is nothing without his name.
"Self-preservation is no longer important to me. I do not fear death as I died long ago. I was told by my mother that sometimes bad things happen to good people. I refuse to accept that.
"I know I will be vilified by the LAPD and the media. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and complete for substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name"
Police are currently focusing their efforts on the Big Bear Lake around 80 miles from Los Angeles. Dorner's burnt out pickup truck was discovered there, with tracks leading away from the vehicle.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date