Insurer Catlin says profits up on lower disaster claims
February 8, 2013 7:28 PM EST
Bermuda-based Catlin made a pre-tax profit of $339 million (215.5 million pounds) last year, up from $71 million in 2011, when insurers worldwide were hit by near-record claims due to a spate of natural disasters including Japan's Tohoku earthquake.
However, Catlin said it now expects a financial hit of $225 million from Superstorm Sandy, up from its initial estimate of $200 million.
It also said the shipwreck of the Costa Concordia cruise liner in January 2012 had cost it $51 million, compared with an earlier estimate of $35 million.
Catlin is paying a 2012 dividend of 29.5 pence per share, an increase of 5.4 percent.
(Reporting by Myles Neligan; editing by Tom Bill)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide