BlackBerry Won’t Sell BB10 Smartphones In Japan
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 8, 2013 7:02 PM EST
The Waterloo-based company is ceasing the sales of its flagship smartphone in the Japanese market because it cannot justify the cost of modifying its operating system to accommodate the Japanese language, according to Nikkei Business Daily.
BlackBerry's market share in Japan has shrunk to 0.3 percent from 5 percent, according to website.
"We are in the process of launching BlackBerry 10 globally in key markets and we are seeing positive demand for the BlackBerry Z10 in countries where it has already launched. Japan is not the major market for BlackBerry and we have no plans to launch BlackBerry 10 device there at this time," BlackBerry was quoted as saying by TechCrunch.
The touchscreen BlackBerry Z10 has already gone on sale in some of the markets including Canada and the United Kingdom and it is expected to go on sale in the United States in mid March. The keyboard version Q10 is expected to be available globally somewhere in April. According to some news, the Z10 has set a new sales record in the Canadian market.
On Wednesday, BlackBerry CEO Thoesten Heins said in a statement, "it was the best day ever for the first-day of the launch of a new BlackBerry smartphone."
"In fact, it was more than 50 percent better than any other launch day in our history in Canada and in the UK, we have seen close to three times our best performance ever for the first week of sales for a BlackBerry smartphones," he added.
Key Specification of BlackBerry Z10
Display: 4.2 inch touch screen with 1280 X 768 pixel resolution
Processor: Dual-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus with 1.5 GHz clock speed
Operating system: BlackBerry 10 OS
Storage: 16 GB built-in memory, expandable up to 64GB
Camera: 8.0 megapixel rear and 2.0 megapixel front facing camera
Network: 4G/LTE and 3G
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles