Diet Sodas Could Still Lead to Type-2 Diabetes
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 8, 2013 5:14 PM EST
Just when most women thought that drinking diet sodas help cut down the calorie intake, a new study has revealed that the artificial sweeteners put into them could actually result to an all-together different sickness of type-2 diabetes.
"Contrary to conventional thinking, the risk of diabetes is higher with 'light' beverages compared with 'regular' sweetened drinks," the National Institute of Health and Medical Research (Inserm) said, noting that diet sodas have an average of 8 teaspoons of sugar per can.
Researchers at Inserm, the French biomedical and public health research institution, came up with the conclusion after following the health and consumption habits of 66,188 women since 1993. The researchers wanted to know the link between sugary drinks and type 2 diabetes, which is the disease's most common type.
Study results revealed women who prefer sodas had a higher risk of diabetes type-2 than women who drank fruit juices.
"Women who drink 'light' or 'diet' sweetened soft drinks drink more of them than those who drink 'normal' sweet soft drinks," the study showed, which is about 2.8 glasses per week as against an average of 1.6 glasses per week, respectively.
When an equal quantity is consumed, Inserm said the risk of contracting diabetes is higher for 'light' or 'diet' drinks than for 'non-light' or 'non-diet' drinks.
"The risk of developing diabetes is 15 per cent greater with the consumption of half a litre per week and 59 per cent greater for the consumption of 1.5 litres per week, respectively," Inserm said.
The findings are published in the latest issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier