Chinese Bare Bottomed Boy Steals Limelight During Incoming Premier Li Keqiang’s Visit to China’s Poor Homes (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 8, 2013 4:03 PM EST
What could have otherwise been a routine, perhaps boring visit of a state official, no less than by incoming Premier Li Keqiang, in China's poor areas became a source of amused and giddy laughs when a bare bottomed Chinese boy stole the limelight during the interview video that was flashed all over the country.
No amount of crisis management planning could have predicted that the moment between Mr Li and Gao Junping, an impoverished 56-year-old farmer, would be stolen by one unscripted moment when the boy would pop out of a wardrobe behind them wearing no underwear on. Mr Gao is the father of the boy. The interview between the two men happened at the bedroom at Mr Gao's house.
Mr Gao's decision to hide his son inside the wardrobe closet did not stem from any child abuse matter. Because they got word that a group state officials, led no less than by Mr Li, and journalists were coming to their house, the farmer and his wife immediately organised their humble house, and perhaps even told their boy to hide himself somewhere else.
But perhaps the boy felt uncomfortable inside the wardrobe closet that he eventually decided to come out, unaware of the ongoings and that even a TV camera had already aimed his bare bottom.
Mr Li was reported to have been amused with the wardrobe malfunction.
He nonetheless just continued with the staged talk with the farmer father.
"Your living conditions are terrible,"Mr Li reportedly told one of the migrant laborers on his visit. "Our hearts are troubled for you."
Chinese netizens hailed the honesty of the televised interview.
"Old Li inspected the people's real lives," Xiehe Yinjia, a Weibo-user, said.
"This bare bottom shows honesty," Dai Xiaojing, another microblogger, said.
Others said what they saw was a refreshing and "rare to see this kind of image on TV."
"The kid was having fun as if there was nothing special going on in front of him, it was amusing."
"It's so nice when things are spontaneous and true!"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff