Chinese Bare Bottomed Boy Steals Limelight During Incoming Premier Li Keqiang’s Visit to China’s Poor Homes (VIDEO)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 8, 2013 4:03 PM EST
What could have otherwise been a routine, perhaps boring visit of a state official, no less than by incoming Premier Li Keqiang, in China's poor areas became a source of amused and giddy laughs when a bare bottomed Chinese boy stole the limelight during the interview video that was flashed all over the country.
No amount of crisis management planning could have predicted that the moment between Mr Li and Gao Junping, an impoverished 56-year-old farmer, would be stolen by one unscripted moment when the boy would pop out of a wardrobe behind them wearing no underwear on. Mr Gao is the father of the boy. The interview between the two men happened at the bedroom at Mr Gao's house.
Mr Gao's decision to hide his son inside the wardrobe closet did not stem from any child abuse matter. Because they got word that a group state officials, led no less than by Mr Li, and journalists were coming to their house, the farmer and his wife immediately organised their humble house, and perhaps even told their boy to hide himself somewhere else.
But perhaps the boy felt uncomfortable inside the wardrobe closet that he eventually decided to come out, unaware of the ongoings and that even a TV camera had already aimed his bare bottom.
Mr Li was reported to have been amused with the wardrobe malfunction.
He nonetheless just continued with the staged talk with the farmer father.
"Your living conditions are terrible,"Mr Li reportedly told one of the migrant laborers on his visit. "Our hearts are troubled for you."
Chinese netizens hailed the honesty of the televised interview.
"Old Li inspected the people's real lives," Xiehe Yinjia, a Weibo-user, said.
"This bare bottom shows honesty," Dai Xiaojing, another microblogger, said.
Others said what they saw was a refreshing and "rare to see this kind of image on TV."
"The kid was having fun as if there was nothing special going on in front of him, it was amusing."
"It's so nice when things are spontaneous and true!"
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan