LG-Google Nexus 4: New Paranoid Android MOD Revs Up Display Rendering of
By Erik Pineda | February 8, 2013 2:42 PM EST
Side by side, the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G, both manufactured by LG, are one and the same. But many experts insist the latter easily beats the former in the display rendering contest due to the disparate tweaks used by Google on its signature smartphone.
The display difference, however, has been recently reconciled with a MOD provided by the Paranoid Android team.
The new kernel, according to DroidDog.com, "uses a combination of LG's settings in their Optimus G kernel and Google's anti-banding presets, creating vibrant colours, deep blacks, and bright whites without creating over-saturation."
A check on the Paranoid Android's Google+ account confirmed that Nexus 4 owners opting to chew in the modification will "get vivid colours without over saturation, almost true blacks, brightest whites, very little banding."
"Your old washed out Nexus 4 will look like a new device, and without making it look like an overblown AMOLED. The difference is literally night and day," the team claimed about its new TricksterMod.
Anyone willing to try out can head out to these links: http://www.mediafire.com/?q3923x9hvtqyd2i or http://www.mediafire.com/?39248x6ueuoirrg, noting that the first one is for those who prefer darker saturation and the second for lighter servings.
In theory, the hack is applicable to all rooted Nexus 4 flashed with any customs ROMs but such pairings are largely untested so Paranoid Android recommends the use of their differently-flavoured JellyBean, which is obtainable from this link: http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/mako/pa_mako-GoogleStockKernel.zip.
According to PocketNow.com, this specific tinkering will "optimize the gamma channel values, and you get what should be a big improvement to the Nexus 4's image quality."
But one piece of advice from the Paranoid Android team: Flashing is exciting but not a hundred per cent safe. You might end up with a bricked and completely unusable Nexus 4, so proceed with extreme caution, the team warned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People