Sensex Likely to Rise on Friday Amid Buoyant China Data
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 8, 2013 2:32 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to rise on Friday as investor confidence is likely to be lifted amid better than expected trade surplus reported by China for January.
According to data released on Friday by the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the country’s trade balance, which measures the difference in value between imported and exported goods and services over the reported period, was $29.2 billion in January from $31.60 billion in December but better than the analysts’ expectation of $22 billion.
On Friday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.14 percent, or 32.42 points, to 23209.42. Among major gainers were Sino Land Co Ltd (1.71 percent) and AIA Group Ltd (0.97 percent).
Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 1.37 percent, or 155.97 points, to 11201.10. Among major losers were Nikon Corp (18.95 percent), Yamaha Corp (15.59 percent) and Kubota Corp (3.77 percent).
On Thursday, the US stocks fell following disappointing quarterly earnings reports announced by companies. Sprint Nextel Corp (NYSE: S) reported on Thursday that its net loss rose to $1.32 billion or or $0.44 per share in the fourth quarter up from $1.30 billion or $0.43 per share in the same period the earlier year. News Corp (NASDAQ: NWSA) reported that its net income rose to $2.38 billion or $1.01 per share in the second quarter up from $1.06 billion or $0.42 per share in the same period the earlier year.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Thursday by the Department of Labor, jobless claims, which measure the number of individuals who filed for unemployment insurance for the first time last week, fell to 366,000 in the week ending Feb 2, from 371,000 in the previous week.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.30 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 0.18 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.11 percent.
On Thursday, the Sensex fell 59.40 points to close at 19580.32. The overall market breadth was negative with 799 advances against 1378 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index dropped 0.88 percent to 6805.07 and Smallcap Index declined 1.34 percent to 6859.10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares