Sensex Likely to Rise on Friday Amid Buoyant China Data
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 8, 2013 2:32 PM EST
India’s Sensex is expected to rise on Friday as investor confidence is likely to be lifted amid better than expected trade surplus reported by China for January.
According to data released on Friday by the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the country’s trade balance, which measures the difference in value between imported and exported goods and services over the reported period, was $29.2 billion in January from $31.60 billion in December but better than the analysts’ expectation of $22 billion.
On Friday, Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.14 percent, or 32.42 points, to 23209.42. Among major gainers were Sino Land Co Ltd (1.71 percent) and AIA Group Ltd (0.97 percent).
Japan's Nikkei Stock Average was down 1.37 percent, or 155.97 points, to 11201.10. Among major losers were Nikon Corp (18.95 percent), Yamaha Corp (15.59 percent) and Kubota Corp (3.77 percent).
On Thursday, the US stocks fell following disappointing quarterly earnings reports announced by companies. Sprint Nextel Corp (NYSE: S) reported on Thursday that its net loss rose to $1.32 billion or or $0.44 per share in the fourth quarter up from $1.30 billion or $0.43 per share in the same period the earlier year. News Corp (NASDAQ: NWSA) reported that its net income rose to $2.38 billion or $1.01 per share in the second quarter up from $1.06 billion or $0.42 per share in the same period the earlier year.
Meanwhile, according to the data released on Thursday by the Department of Labor, jobless claims, which measure the number of individuals who filed for unemployment insurance for the first time last week, fell to 366,000 in the week ending Feb 2, from 371,000 in the previous week.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.30 percent, the S&P 500 Index was down 0.18 percent and the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 0.11 percent.
On Thursday, the Sensex fell 59.40 points to close at 19580.32. The overall market breadth was negative with 799 advances against 1378 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index dropped 0.88 percent to 6805.07 and Smallcap Index declined 1.34 percent to 6859.10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales