What’s A Birthday Cake Without A Candle On It To Blow
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 8, 2013 2:18 PM EST
For young children, the icing on every birthday party is when the people start singing happy birthday and then the celebrant gets to make a wish before blowing the candle on the cake. But Australia's National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) found this unhygienic and therefore banned candle blowing on shared birthday cakes. Really now?
According to the NHMRC guidelines, which likewise stated that all toys, doorknobs, floors and cushion covers have to be cleaned daily under strict proposed hygiene rules at every Australian childcare centre, children who want to celebrate their birthday with their classmates at the centre ought to provide separate cupcakes and birthday candles for them to avoid blowing germs all over a shared cake.
Although experts generally want the best for every Australian children as far as their overall health welfare is concerned, most believed the recently implemented guidelines were far exaggerated.
"If somebody sneezes on a cake, I probably don't want to eat it either, but if you're blowing out candles, how many organisms are transferred to a communal cake, for goodness sake?" Steve Hambleton, president of the Australian Medical Association (AMA), said.
He likewise pointed out that it's normal and healthy to expose children to a certain amount of environmental antigens in order to strengthen their immune systems as it wards off potential diseases from their small and fragile bodies.
That's why it's ridiculous to always require children to wash their hands before and after playing in a sand pit, he said.
Peta Weston, a director at the Little Bear Child Care Centre, said there is more to children celebrating their birthdays at the center than just those candle blowing routines.
"For some children they don't have the option to have a birthday party, so they celebrate their birthday with other children at the centre," she said.
Health Minister Tanya Plibersek meanwhile said that while the guidelines were not strictly enforceable rules for the childcare centre, they are however at risk of future ridicule and shame for implementing improper hygiene rules.
"We're not going to have the cupcake police out but childcare centres know that whatever they can do to reduce infections in childcare centres is going to be good for the kids, it's going to be good for the families that they support and it's going to be good for childcare centres themselves," Ms Plibersek said.
"They are suggestions that childcare centres can follow if they wish to reduce the likelihood of infection going around childcare centres."
"There is no danger that the cupcake police will shut you down for birthday cakes."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?