Michelle Obama To Attend Funeral Of Hadiya Pendleton, Chicago Teen Killed After Inauguration
By Eric Brown | February 8, 2013 1:47 PM EST
First lady Michelle Obama has announced that she will attend the funeral of Chicago teenager Hadiya Pendleton, who was shot dead in a park only a week after performing at President Barack Obama’s inauguration.
White House officials confirmed the news with the New York Times on Thursday, announcing that Obama would attend Pendleton’s funeral on Saturday in Chicago. Obama will be accompanied at the funeral by senior presidential aide Valerie Jarrett and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, both fellow Chicagoans.
Pendleton, 15, was shot and killed by a suspected gang member on Jan. 29, only nine days after she performed in Obama’s second inauguration with the King College Prep School Band.
Pendleton was taking shelter from the rain in a park close to her school. She was huddled together with about a dozen other people when a someone opened fire on the group, apparently believing that a rival gang member was present. Pendleton was shot and killed despite having no links to any Chicago gangs. No one has been arrested.
This was the 42nd murder in Chicago in 2013. Last year saw more than 500 homicides in Chicago, which has endured a plague of gang violence in recent years.
The park where Pendleton was shot is less than a mile from the Obamas’ home in the Kenwood district of Chicago.
Pendleton’s funeral will be held 10 a.m. Saturday at Chicago’s Greater Harvest Baptist Church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff