Michelle Obama To Attend Funeral Of Hadiya Pendleton, Chicago Teen Killed After Inauguration
By Eric Brown | February 8, 2013 1:47 PM EST
First lady Michelle Obama has announced that she will attend the funeral of Chicago teenager Hadiya Pendleton, who was shot dead in a park only a week after performing at President Barack Obama’s inauguration.
White House officials confirmed the news with the New York Times on Thursday, announcing that Obama would attend Pendleton’s funeral on Saturday in Chicago. Obama will be accompanied at the funeral by senior presidential aide Valerie Jarrett and Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, both fellow Chicagoans.
Pendleton, 15, was shot and killed by a suspected gang member on Jan. 29, only nine days after she performed in Obama’s second inauguration with the King College Prep School Band.
Pendleton was taking shelter from the rain in a park close to her school. She was huddled together with about a dozen other people when a someone opened fire on the group, apparently believing that a rival gang member was present. Pendleton was shot and killed despite having no links to any Chicago gangs. No one has been arrested.
This was the 42nd murder in Chicago in 2013. Last year saw more than 500 homicides in Chicago, which has endured a plague of gang violence in recent years.
The park where Pendleton was shot is less than a mile from the Obamas’ home in the Kenwood district of Chicago.
Pendleton’s funeral will be held 10 a.m. Saturday at Chicago’s Greater Harvest Baptist Church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Russia to Create Emergency Fund for Sanctions-Hit Companies, to Build New Rail Line Bypassing Ukraine
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date